Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New (to me) tractor, new problems (ie: HELP)

shaggyhill

Just picked up a 6216 (same one I posted questions on a couple weeks ago), and seems to be a great tractor. Needs a couple parts, like muffler, arbor covers, but all in all, seemed fine. Couldn't resist trying it out, and got a couple strips cut, when all of a sudden, no steering. Took a look, and the rod connecting the steering to the frt. wheel was disconnected at the ball. Couldn't get it to pop in and stay in. Appears there should be a c-clip or something to hold it there, but don't see anyplace for it to go. I need to order the manuals, but in meantime, any ideas on getting back togather, or do I need new parts? Van

Ron. I'll have to find the part number, and order it. But in the meantime, ..... I just happen to have an old exercise band that should be just like an inner-tube!! Thanks for the tip!! I'm heading home now to try it!! Van

Van, You need new parts. In the mean time cut a strip of inner tube and wrap the joint with it and tie it off. Looks like the dickens but you can use the tractor until the new parts arive. Had one of these patches last almost two years. Ron

We stock the ball joint u need Van. Drop us a line or call if u wish to order one. See our ad on this site. In the meantime wiring the joint together will work fine. Bill, from home.