Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro surge . . .

Hogg

My hydro(?) in my 7119 has developed a surge condition that drives me nuts. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the pump going? I did change the hydro oil and filter some time back, but it worked fine up until the other day. When I say it surges, I mean the motor RPM does not fluctuate but the tractor kind of pushes ahead and falls back and pushes ahead and falls back. Enough to make you seasick. No nasty noises, no leaks, no whine, no slipping (I don't think). Any thoughts. . . . . anybody?

Check fluid level, had this happen in a JD 400, it was low on fluid and jerked so bad, we kept using it until we figured out it was low, it got the the point at full throttle it would go from a dead stop to 2 mph, and kept doing that.-BradW

Check the 3 bolts on each side of the bevel gear box and see if they need tightened. If they lossen up your tractor will speed up and slow down as the terrain changes under the tractor. What happens is that the tractor will pivot just enough to alter the hydro control linkage. After its all tightened up you would need to reset the neutral center to eliminate any creep. Procedure is described in your owners manual. Sam I have had this problem develop on more than one of the tractors passing through my hands.