Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Snow Plow

TimE

Hello Tim, The hitch mounts to the axle just like the mower deck, just uses the holes up front. let me know if you need more photos. The spring on the lift rod allows the blade to follow the ground (rise up) when the lift lever is locked into one of the detent positions. http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/6216Ag.jpg

Tim, Just an FYI. I made a mount to hook up a John Deere 54" blade to my Landlord. The blade is big for the tractor (normal Simplicity blade is 42") and also pretty heavy. The leverage off the lift rod direct to the blade frame made it a heavy lift. So I fabricated a lift frame that hooked to the mounts on the front of the axle ( still attaching the blade at the rear mounts.) My lift frame hooked to the lift lever by a rod and to the blade by a lift chain. The lift frame angles forward and up at about 45 degrees. This gave me more leverage by having a more vertical pull on the blade and also allowed the blade to "float" because of the chain.

I have a 6216. A friend just gave me a snow plow. I don't know who made it. My idea is to fabricate a hitch/mounting hardware to use the blade. Can anyone tell me how an original Simplicity plow mounts to this tractor? Does it mount in the same holes that the mower deck uses? Is the lift handle for the mower deck used to lift the plow? Thanks in advance.

Hey Tom, No way could I fit chains on it with the 26" tires. In fact I have to put a small shim under the fender for that extra 1/8" clearance. I will be cutting the fenders when I get a chance. I have several snow removal customers that have blacktop driveways, and I could not use chains for fear of doing damage. As she sits with no fluid in the tires and my 200# butt on the seat I can clear 10" of wet snow in 3rd gear. I have a set of chains from my old pickup, but have not tried to cut them down to fit the stock turf tires since the big Ag tires worked so well. As far as lifting the blade, yes it is heavy !! and once you get some snow or dirt piled up against it it is IMPOSSIBLE to lift it. You have to step on the clutch and let the tractor roll back then lift with both hands. I found a pair of 12 Volt, 8" travel, 1000lb electric lift units on Ebay for $100 and am working on the brackets to make it power angle and lift.

Hey Roger - Can you fit tire chains on that thing - the fender clearance must be awful tight! Or do you use different tires/wheels with the chains? Tom