Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Read Writing – Not Gauges

martyhunter

Looks good Herb, you should pat. it..Most of the one on my 112 stayed in the tank of which the bottom looked like it caught a round of bird shot. Still running on a 1 gal tank off an old generator 8 hp. MPH

Ha Ha!! Herb, count yourself among the lucky ones who actually HAVE a gas gauge! None of the tractors I've bought recently have a gauge or at least a working one but thats gonna change with your helpful tip. On one of mine the spiral rods are there but the cork float disintegrated...any ideas on what to use and how to attach it? There should be a hall of "shame" for some of the things people substitute for gas caps not to mention the inherent dangers of poor fits, no vents etc. Man, I've seen some real doozys! Dick

Dick, The older gauges used a cork float with a piece of brass for the slot. The newer ones are made of plastic with the slot molded in. The gauges are made by Kelch Corp. Mequon, Wis., maybe you can buy new floats separate. I think I'd make a float from either cork or balsa and use the old brass. If you don't have the old brass, make a "staple" from something like copper or aluminum and punch a slot with a screwdriver. An empty wooden thread spool looks to be close in size, but my wife claims most are now plastic. To attach, just gently pull the spiral out of the guide rails and slide on the float. As long as the float goes up and down without binding on the rails it should work.

I hate when I have to READ a gauge. I think gauges should tell at a glance what’s going on, you shouldn’t have to READ each one. The fuel gauge used by Simplicity has annoyed me for some time (I just wish that was the biggest annoyance in my life). The “F” & “E” are both black, as is the “hand,” and there are a bunch of black hash marks around the perimeter of the gauge face. I really have to look to first find the hand, and then interpret how much fuel is in the tank. When the gauge ages the lens may cloud, or the face may discolor. What is left is a fuel tank cap with a gauge that works, but is unreadable. I decided to renew mine. I painted the face white, the empty area red, and the hand blue & yellow. I cut a new lens from the bottom of a peanut butter jar. Now I can tell how much fuel I have at a glance. PS - Don't forget the vent. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/fg-seq.jpg

I've been buying replacement gauges out of the Stens Catalog for around $10 or so. But, they only go for about three years before the plastic starts to cloud up and gets hard to see. I think there is a cleaner you can dip it in to clean it up but I cant remember what its called.

Sam, I don't know what the plastic cleaner is called, but send me your old gauges. I'm too cheap to keep spending the $10.

You guys have really hit on something for me. I always wondered why my mother-in-law saved everything (she's 82 and was a depression child). I called her up this morning and she gave me a 2 lb coffee can full of wooden thread spools. Maybe I could sell them to all.. Just thought I'd adgitate a little. Have a good weekend all. Marion W. Kerr

Herb, Cork is getting kinda hard to find these days but maybe a hobby shop would have some. Seems the cork lasted 30 odd years and it would be my chioce if I can find it. Wonder if I can cut the guide slots in the outside of it without having it crumble as I cut it. Dick

Drink enough wine and you won't care if the cork is the right diameter, or if it floats, or if your tractor has fuel, or even if the grass is 2' tall..........