Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

convert rotary mower to hydraulic drive

I HAVE A POW R MAX 954. THE REAR PTO IS ENGINE SPEED TOOOOO FAST FOR A ROTARY MOWER. I AM WANTING TO DRIVE IT HYDRAULICALLY FROM THE FRONT PTO. SIZING THE PUMP AND DRIVE MOTOR SO THE MOWER WILL OPERATE AT 1000 RPM MAX. QUESTION--WHAT TORQUE IS NEEDED TO DRIVE A 48 IN (BUSH HOG) I CAN FIGURE OUT DISPLACEMENTS. HYD PRESSURE SAY 1500 PSI AT HEAVY LOAD

Just my guess, but the Bush Hog should have a minimum PTO HP rating. I would take that and size a hyd. motor for that hp. Take in to account that most pto driven mowers are set up for a pto speed of 540 rpm and that the gear box on the mower usually changes the speed somewhat. So now you need to make sure the hyd. motor will put out the required hp at that rpm which I think it would. Then just size a pump for the motor requirements. A two gallon or so reserve tank would also be required. Another thing to consider would be the hp requirements of the pump and do you have enough extra hp (after subtracting for things like the hydrostatic drive of the tractor itself) to run the pump. PhilD

Other ideas would be to setup a triple belt reduction setup on the rear PTO (or whatever drives the mower) with the right sized pulleys to get the speed you want. You could also use a small car or truck transmission (a short one) to change the ratio) and put it inline with the mower driveshaft. Just some ideas.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

Been told Case/White used to run all thier attachments off hydro. Might be a place to go looking for spec info. Yahoo has a case page, I've looked at pics on it but that about all..I grew up on case farm tractors...MPH