Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plow Trac Transmission

CaseyM

I have a Wards Plow Trac (appears to be same as FC with a four horse Clinton A1200 and with the extra lever to the axle) that has not been operated for a long time. I need to know if this transmission runs with the ninety weight oil in it or if the lubrication comes from all the grease fittings. In addition the shaft and belt pully move in and out of transmission when shift lever is moved. This doesn't look right as it changes the drive belt alignment. What's wrong? Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

The owner manuals I have for Simplicity F,FB. There are four high pressure grease fittings on the tractor,one grease fitting on the idler pulley,one on the main axle housing,one on the gear case and one on the pulley shaft housing.Grease idler pulley every 4 to 6 hours of use. Grease main axle housing every 12 to 15 hours of use.Gear case housing will require a few shots of grease every 40 to 50 hours of use.Lubricate the pulley shaft housing every 5 to 6 hours of operation. Use a general purpose semi-solid grease.The shaft and belt pulley should not move in and out of transmission when shift lever is moved back and forth. Inside the transmission there is a retaining ring on the transmission pulley shaft. I can E-mail you the transmission breakdown and part list. For More information on Simplicity walking tractors check out this wab site. Karl [A href='http://www.geocites.com/simplicityva/index.html']http://www.geocites.com/simplicityva/index.html[/a]

Casey, Not sure if your tranny is the same as a Model W, which is basic to the B series but if so,,, I bet the retainer ring is gone on your pulley shaft, had to terar my B112 down with that same problem,plus a few others, this summer. What I found was someone had replaced the sq rings with easy to get round ones which allowed the shaft keys to work there way up and over the retainers..the trannys are pretty basic nuts and bolts so don't it scare you..Good pair of snapring pliers is helpful..good luckk...MPH

Thanks for the help fellows. I have what appears to be a little different trans. in that it has three additional grease fittings on the right side and two on the side away from the right wheel as viewed from behind the tractor. There is a collar on the pulley shaft with a 7/16 head bolt on the top of the collar and in toward the shaft. The collar (this collar also has a grease fitting) appears to insert into the trans from the left side. Is there a chance I can get to the retaining ring from that side? The other side has the long cast cover which is going to involve the main axle, the spider gears or whatever is involve with the two speed axle as well as each individual shaft with gears in the transmission. Looking for the simple solution and I am kind of in the dark without service manual or part drawing which correspond to this FC model. Thanks again for your expertice. Casey

Casey, sounds like a whole differ animal, mine only have one serik on the axle tube. Can you post a couple pics???MPH