Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CREEPY HYDRO

roma3112

Question

Guys

the sunstrand hydro om my sovereign has had a persistent reverse creep almost since I bought it. If i put the selector in neutral it goes into reverse and the machine will move enough to be worrysome. I have tryied to adjust the linkage but do not seem to have any luck. I was wondering if there was a proper sequence of steps to follow as to not cause any damage to the machine.

The machine itself is barely a year old so there is no wear in the linkage, I vaguely rember sombody saying that this was a somewhat comon problem, iam sure i could blindly work my way through it but would rather have some imput, before i cause any damage especially since it is still under warranty.

thanks

john

15 answers to this question

Our 917 and 712 used to do this too, to stop it i removed the spring that goes from the lever on the hydro pump to the frame. The removal of this apparanly does not effect anything else. They no longer creep backward. This is the spring I removed...

Dscf0023.jpg

Dscf0023.jpg.9ed6b4670480cfcb22a4b8264d03d44d.jpg

John,

My Ford is a hydro, and it did the same thing. It took me some time getting it just right, but it was a simple adjustment on the linkage.

But I don't have a clue what make the hydro is.

My 7016H did the something when I got it. I don't know if yours would be the same adjustments as mine, yours being newer. You might do a search of post because the guys here talked me through it.

My 7117 has detailed instructions for this adjustment in the manual. (I know because mine creeps backward, too, and I haven't had the motivation to dig into it yet!)

My D/A Ultima (Sunstrand) does it also, went through the adjustment steps (by the book) a couple of times and it still does it. :(

If it's that new and under warranty,I would bring back to the dealer and have him adjust it. ;)

John,

Creeping in neutral seems to be a common problem with these tractors. Assuming there are no worn parts, proper lubrication and adjusting the linkage precisely as per the manual is crucial.

If lubrication and adjustment don't correct the problem, some have suggested installing a "blocker" to eliminate the action of the inline linkage spring.

I went one step further and modified the linkage on one of my tractors to completely disengage the pump when the parking brake is applied.

Maynard/guys thanks

I will tr that adjustment on my next day off, I alread have i printed out. Thanks for e imput and help. I will let know how i make out.

thanks

john

Letter D is the step you need the most. If all the linkage moves and checks out okay then the adjusting nut as shown in fig 23 as all you need to adjust. It acts like a cam and moves the shaft left and right a small amount to center the hydro arm. Let us know how it goes.

Dutch, Maynard John

thanks for your imput pictures and confirmation. had yesterday off so I tackled that project, and finished wireing some lights for the rear of the machine. The listed adjustment process worked like a charm!! The only problem i had was figuring out CW vs CCW and if they meant left or right side of the machine as i am sitting on it or looking at it from the front LOL

Thanks to your help I now have a NON-CREEPY Neutral.

thanks

john

My AC716H with Sunstrand hydro creeps, but it is not consistent. Sometimes forward, somethmes backward. I think this is probably worn parts.

John,

It didn't have a spring when I got it, but I put one on. Helped a little. My creep is very slow, and I have learned to live with it. The creep is without the parking brake set. The neutral notch also appears to be too wide. Don't know if someone filed it larger before I got it or what. I can usually compensate for the creep by moving the lever some. Won't always stop the creep, but sometimes does. I think the roller in the linkage is warn on one side, making it inconsistent in neutral. One of these days I may work on this problem. Right now it is near the bottom of my list of things to work on. More of a nuisance than a problem.

The combines I've driven during harvest do the same thing, creep, and they've all had hydro's. I chalk some creep up to normal wear on the hydro. Definitely worth trying to adjust though.

Just for grins: I started carrying a wheel chock with me and use it almost every time I stop the tractor with the engine running.. This stops the creep for sure. Except every once in a while, I try to drive over it.

The other thing I do for safety, having once had my 7116 roll downhill right into a tree, is tend to park with the wheels turned so that the tractor will not roll downhill, either forward or backward.

My parking brake stops the creep, but then I tend to drive off with it engaged, ruining the brake. I guess I will have to follow this procedure after all.