Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ag lugs VS. Turfs with chains????

AC808

Question

Any have an opinion or preference what you prefer to move snow with... Ag lug or regular turf tires with chains (on the rear)

thanks for your input!

jay

16 answers to this question

Ag or turf doesn't matter to me. I do snow removal on all surfaces (asfult, dirt, and concrete) and the biggest thing I need is chains. I believe chains make all the difference. I guess if your gunna get techy I would chose turf because there is more surface pushing/touching the chains and the surface your rolling over, but I don't really think you'd notice the difference.

rob

I like the AG lugs much better than chains. The ones I use have been cut on a slight angle for tractor pulling. They have just as much grip as chains, but will not damage pavement. If they spin, they dig a hole just like chains. I've used both and prefer AGs without chains.

Chains will perform better on ice or hard-packed snow...

In just fresh snow, it's six of one, a half dozen of the other, IMO... as far as traction goes.

I've finally settled on turfs with chains for snowblowing, and ags for using the snow blade. Reason is that you'll inevitably spin when you're plowing snow up into/onto piles -- and chains will scuff the pavement...

Best combination I have found is 23x8.50x12 lugs with chains. Almost unstoppable.

I prefer the 8.50's in the snow because the wide 10.50's seem to want to ride up over the snow too much rather than pushing through it.

Mark,

I will send you some of our snow. Normal for Dec. is 6.3" allready have 16.4" and some more in the next few days.

I use the 8.50 turf tires and wheel weights, No chains. I do spin a good bit but there are no scuff marks in the driveway.

I acquired a set of OLD ags that are 6 X 12 with studs in them from another member last summer. I was only going to use the rims but decided this fall to try them with new tubes since they are REAL weathered, I can't believe what a difference with the studs. I just wish I could find a new pair with the studs in them.

I plowed snow on Sunday and used chains on turf tires. No weight except my 275. I had no problems with the Big Ten pushing snow. Admittedly, there was no much of it, only about three inches. I pushed snow however that the county plow truck had already piled up and still had no problems. I really big snow may be a different story.

Thanks Kent I was thinking about that. I did that to my tires I had on a RC truck a few years back then cut the heads off the screws. Them tires were great.

I tried my tractor with plow today, since we got a a couple inches of snow. I have Carlisle ags, 23x8.5-12, no chains. I have a donut weight in the rear sleeve, wheel weights, and me. The tires won't spin anywhere when I'm plowing.

I also transported the tractor up a hill (not plowing). I tried 3rd gear, and it was slow. But the tractor kept moving forward. Guess that's what counts.

I'm going to try letting some air out of the tires next time, as they're overinflated. I'm quite happy with ag tires without chains.

The Carlisle Super Lugs I got were 2 ply. I wanted Titan Tru-Power 4 ply ags in the back, but my tire dealer couldn't order them.

Well In the past I have used Turf with Chains, This year was the first year I had Ag tires, at first I thought they weren't that good... But after usung them they seem to work good we will just have to see how they work on the Frozen drive if it ever freezes all the way..