Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel tank w/rust...best removal method?

AC808

Question

Ive started the restoration of my 101, the gas tank is lined with rust.. Whats the best method to remove it? And can it then be coated on the inside also...Not like im planning on letting it sit around much when im done with it! hehe

73 and Merry Christmas

jay

10 answers to this question

Eastwood sells a kit of chemicals to clean and then coat tanks--works well in my experience though not something to do indoors--lots of fumes.

I have used nuts and bolts and water Before just put the bolts and nuts in the tanks with some water and Shake it around ... It works pretty good...

I have heard where people have lined them With "Kreem" and others having them Dipped...

Drain out all gas,Put a handfull of nuts and bolts in it,put a cup or so of KEROSENE,or DIESEL oil NOT GAS!and shake,shake,shake Drain out kero repeat this 3 times or so and the tank will be virtually rust free.

To shake it, I like the approach of strapping the gas tank to the rear wheel of a working tractor with bungee cords, then go use it to mow the yard, etc.

I had the same problem when I purchased a 101.

I put a cup of pea gravel and some Naval Jelly rust neutralizer in the tank and shook it on and off for about a week.

When I opened it up and washed it out with water, it was shiny as could be.

I have also heard of motorcycle repair shops that will bead blast tanks to remove rust and varnish.

I hope this helps

Shaun

I put some muriatic acid in mine, sloshed it around a bit and it cleaned the rust right up. Pour the used acid near a bush you don't like.

• Like 1

Originally posted by Kent

To shake it, I like the approach of strapping the gas tank to the rear wheel of a working tractor with bungee cords, then go use it to mow the yard, etc.[/quThat's how I did the tank for the Model "A", strapped to the wheel of the '35 John Deere AR.

Hi,

Vinegar works well also with some type of tumbling media. The acetic acid cleans the inside. There a number of tank lining materials available from bike shop and chain saw suppliers. Al Eden

If you use the shake, nut and bolt theory be sure you coat it with

something.

I did the same thing to a dirt bike but didn't coat the tank,

I filled numerous filters!!!

Still found rust in the carb. bowl, filter caught some but not all.

This might sound defeating the idea but after I used the Muriatic acid, I put in water and rinse it numerous times, with the nuts shaking around the loose stuff. I rinse until it is clean and then throw a bit of kerosene in there and rinse that out with a bit of gasoline. It has been working well for years now.

There is also an electolysis method and that can be searched on the Internet.