Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pic size

toad270

Question

21 answers to this question

The most common cause is a blank space or other special character in the file name, but that wasn't the case here. This one is harder to explain. The header record of that file doesn't specify what size the picture is -- so the software doesn't know how to display it....

Some of the photo editing packages (usually the ones that come with the camera) and some of the native camera formats don't put this information in the file....

I suggest you download one of the free graphics compression packages is the Resources >> Links >> Miscellaneous area and try using it. Both of those seem to work, with the limited testing that I've performed.

oops.Nice tractor toad.Is that a sign on the cart?

Looks like Greg got you all fixed up and the picture appears larger.

Originally posted by gregc

Same file name. Copied into Paint Shop Pro.

You too, eh?I've done all the graphics work on the site and for the advertisers with Paint Shop Pro, and it's companion animation package... sl_anim2.gifJP_BTN3.gifPhotoshop it too powerful (i.e. complicated) for me... ;)

Kent,

I believe there may be a glitch sometimes when uploading a pic.

After copying the pic, I tried to upload it into a reply window and when I previewed it there was only the diskette. I changed the file name and tried again, same results. Tried a third time, changing the file name again and got diskette again. On fourth attempt, after changing file name again, the pic appeared when previewed. On fifth attempt, I changed the file name back to the original and tried the upload again. On previewing the reply, the pic was there. I then posted the reply.

The problem could have been fixed by the poster if the directions for fixing red x or diskette had been read and followed. Just as I did to fix the problem. The basic problem is as Kent explained. The solution is to open your picture with Irfanview or similar photo program, resize if necessary if not just click save as with a file name with out spaces or symbols and then upload. If the picture is of correct size just saving it with the photo program will solve the problem.

Irfanview is a free download and is very simple and easy to use. Having Irfanview in your computer will all so allow you to convert pdf files to jpg so you can upload them.

Irfanview iview_logo.gif can be downloaded from this site. again it is free and easy to use.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Originally posted by gregc

Kent,I believe there may be a glitch sometimes when uploading a pic.After copying the pic, I tried to upload it into a reply window and when I previewed it there was only the diskette. I changed the file name and tried again, same results. Tried a third time, changing the file name again and got diskette again. On fourth attempt, after changing file name again, the pic appeared when previewed. On fifth attempt, I changed the file name back to the original and tried the upload again. On previewing the reply, the pic was there. I then posted the reply.

There very well may be a problem. But I've never experienced it with Paint Shop Pro -- i resize & compress all my files with it -- so I can't duplicate it. 90% plus of the graphics posting problems are easily corrected by getting rid of special characters and blank spaces in file names -- that one Maynard and I know all too well...Blank spaces in user names causes the same problem, and I've included warnings on the sign up forms, but people simply don't read them and press on...How many people even read the Help & FAQs that I updated with Maynard's illustrated procedure (linked below), or any of the topics that have been posted on solving the problem... it's kinda like the people sending in dues checks without telling us who they were, which was driving Pat & Kris nuts for a few days... :DHelp & FAQs page regarding pictures:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/faq_template.asp?Catid=5

Kent

I have duplicated the problem. It is just as you explained it. As I explained above is how I solved the problem. If I can fix it any one can especially if they read and follow instructions.

I use Paint Shop Pro for all my pics too. Never had a problem posting any pic until the three in a row that I mentioned.

Read all the FAQ,s before ever trying to post my first pic on here. It's always been a breeze.;)

Paint Shop Pro can get expensive my wife has it, but for doing pictures here Irfanview works just fine does everthing I want it to even converts pdf. files to jpg. files and it is free.

I have not had a problem with posting pictures since Maynard told me about IrfanView. It works great. Most of the time, all I do is open the file and change from 256 to 16 bit color and it will post. I had one picture recently that wouldn't post, so I made the picture a little smaller in size to cut down the file size. It worked.

I don't rename my files. I leave them named whatever they were when they came from the camera.

If all else fails, read the instructions! That is why Maynard has them posted in all of the forums.

That is a slow moving vehicle sign on the back of the tractor the origanal owner had on it.I used MIHOV to resize this. One of the free ones from here.

Kent and Maynard,Please take a look at these pictures and tell me how they uploaded and displayed if you can't use spaces and symbols in the file names.I beleive that we do really have a glitch here as I said before. The first picture that I posted in a reply above was shown as a diskette on the first try and was displayed properly the second time using the same file name. Absolutely nothing was changed by me. It leads me to beleive that the file size was not recognized on the first try.All these problems are not caused by people failing to read and follow directions, nor are they always caused by the cameras used or the graphics program used. The fault in a lot of cases seems to lie on the site side.(IMO)

b 10.jpg

belt_stops.jpg

tildrive$2.jpg

57e05c24a40fe_b10.jpg.a0c0d0be2b024a4fb2d35f935db02a14.jpg

belt_stops.jpg.f7bf704a9d39101e5aac58892dc50519.jpg

57e05c2592af1_tildrive2.jpg.f7e284f4875625143cba49936032a892.jpg

There is a deference between taking a picture of your own and uploading it and copying a picture that is already on the internet and re-uploading it. ( which you did above)

(/club2/attach/toad270/b10.JPG) (/club2/attach/gregc/b%2010.jpg) Same picture

The pictures upload with out problem, they are loaded and stored on a server the problem is displaying them in a post. The post is showing the pictures URL address on that server. The spaces and symbols generate %20 in their place and this creates a URL address that doesn't exist so no picture gets displayed.

I know how it works but the why it works is way over my head and my ability to explain it here in written words.

It wouldn't matter if I could explain it no one would read it or follow instructions anyway.

One solution would be just to delete them instead of repairing them.

Deleting seems to get peoples attention

Greg,

Maynard is on the right track. Problems with uploading pictures seem to relate to:

1. File is too big -- it must be less than 100Kb as widely discussed.

2. The username has a blank space in it -- the files are supposed to upload to directory for each user called simpletractors/club2/attach/username/ and then the file name. Well NT (Windows 2003 Server) doesn't like blank spaces in directory names so the upload will not work, and the "red X" shows up instead of the picture.

3. Some special characters are prohibited by Windows NT in file names -- especially /\ and such -- some special characters are allowed, but the easiest way to avoid those problems is to NOT use any special characters. The $ one you chose to use happened to be allowed. I could research and find the specific ones allowed, but since people don't read and follow the directions, any way, would it really make any difference?

4. Blank spaces in file names are allowed by Windows NT. But, HTML links or image references will not allow blank spaces. The blank spaces are converted to %20 (the ASCII character for a spacebar) in the URL which will link and display. If you can get the photo uploaded, then click the photo to get the URL, and edit the topic, then you can get these to display.... as described in how to fix the Red X or diskette topics.

5. Then, there's the problem with lack of header information in the file to describe its size, also discussed elsewhere... the only solution I know to this one is use a software editing/compression package that will put the XY dimensions in the file header.

Bottom line is avoid blank spaces and special characters, compress the files to less than 100KB, and if you run into the problems with the file header information, try Irfanview or some other photo editing package. That's why we describe the procedures and the fixes the way we do -- these work, even though they may not be the only things that work!

I'm not saying that there aren't quirks in the coding of the site, only that I don't have these problems, so I can't duplicate them, and even if I could, I'm not sure I could fix them....

But, the procedures and fixes that we keep describing WILL work....

Kent and Maynard,

I want to thank you both for your more detailed explanations on this subject. Maybe it will help others as well as me to better understand the problems.

While I have had no problems with my own pictures, I just couldn't understand all the other problems that people were having in posting pics. I'm sure that most are an individual's own error, but wasn't sure that was all the problem.

Anyway, thanks to you both for your time. I really appreciate your efforts.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Tom45
    • maxwood
    • PhanDad
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts