Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B112 Starter/Gen Need Advise Thanks!

Thank you for the advise. I have followed the tricks laid out by Al Eden's article. Except for having the armature growled all the other suggestions he makes I have tried. The real issue is not so much getting it back on the road as much as it is trying to keep it running myself, but sometimes you just have to take it to the man. The learning process is the best part hearing and reading of the many solutions that you guys come up with. Again my many thanks. One last question. Several have said in different post that they see or talk to their dealer about parts etc.. Could you share with me where or who these dealers are? I know that now due to age that some parts will have to be replaced and if there is a option of a dealer (one who has access to parts) it would be nice to know. I would guess that the next item I would be looking for, would be bearings for the 48" mower deck, well maybe new belts all around first then the bearings. Sure do like the old guy, a real work hoarse as well as being a lot of fun coming up with different tools to put on him to move dirt, plant garden and just play like he is a bulldozer. Again thanks for the reply. I will try the repair shop if that won't work out I will have to contact Al at Edens LTD. Thanks Bob Schipper

If you don't already have them, order a set of manuals from Simplicity. Most all belts and bearings should still be available new. Once you know the numbers of the parts you need you can order them from any Simplicity dealer. I patronize this club's sponsors (dealers) for obvious reasons. Check with your local Simplicity / Allis dealer. Just remember your B-112 is almost 40 years old and with the knowledge you acquire from this club you may know more about it than your local dealer does.

Brent_Baumer
My Sim. dealer could not get the parts for my starter/generator. Bought new armature, bearings, brushes, both coils and the pulley for a longer style unit with bearings on both ends of armature shaft for $70 at a local auto-electric shop in Richmond, IN. Basically everything new but the housing. The most expensive part is the armature. Depending on the unit $30-$40 for a re-wound armature from Richmond Battery 765-966-6299. Also, when stopped at my local Sim. dealer I noticed he still had a new Soveriegn on the sales floor if anyone is interested. Merkamp Sales, Richmond, IN 765-962-2048.

• 1 month later...
Ive had good luck getting bearings for my mower deck from a bearings warehouse. Just take them the bearing It will have a part number on it they can cross. NAPA can also cross refrence bearings and belts in a pinch. But I recomend the orginal Simlicity belts last longer on the rotary mower.