Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Variable Speed tractors info wanted

lboy1971

Hi. I have a B1, not running yet, B10,parts, Big Ten, works good and B110 that work good. What I want to know is how do the guys that have had the variable speed models liked them? I think that's the B12,B112 and B212 type models. I've seen several and would like to get one. How much variation in speeds do you get while staying in one gear? And lastly how durable are they if in good shape when you get them? Thanks. Lloyd

I have a B-210 but have not used it much since I got it because it's a fixer upper. The B-210 has the variable speed which gives you seven ranges within each of the three transmision gears. So you actualy have 21 ranges of speed. The way it shifts is you use the clutch to put the transmsion into gear and then once your moving you just shift the variable speed shifter without using the clutch. So far I like it a lot but I haven't really put it to any test yet as I am fixing up my tractor. Good luck, Al

I have a couple of tractors with the variable speed transmission and if they are adjusted correctly, they work very good. the only problem I have noticed is that sometimes I need a third hand for all the controls (steering wheel,variable speed lever, manual lift, throttle)!One of the tractors I bought from a friend that pulled with it for about 5 years (new belt when he started pulling with it) and never had a problem with it.

It is great for cutting the lawn big difference in speed.Tall grass 3rd gear slow variable speed short grass high speed.I have had problems with adjusments but this unit is 30 years old and is starting to wear out.Unless you use it to haul large logs(done it) you should not have any problems.Oh ya it is the simplicity 3212V

It is great for cutting the lawn big difference in speed.Tall grass 3rd gear slow variable speed short grass high speed.I have had problems with adjusments but this unit is 30 years old and is starting to wear out.Unless you use it to haul large logs(done it) you should not have any problems.Oh ya it is the simplicity 3212V

I use the variable in a pulling tractor and have no problems with the system, it is durable. I have played with the linkages to get another 50% more range from it. The variable actually gives you overlap in each gear. i.e. 2nd low is slower than 1st high. You should be able to find the right speed for any application. I don't have the experience (I use a hydro for rototilling) but what I would guess that 1st low is even slow enough for tilling. Mike S.

According to my book variable speed should be...1st,.8-1.7mph, 2nd 2.0-4mph, 3rd 3.3-6.6mph. once adjusted, they are sweet..mph