Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rollers and Poop

dmcluckie

OK, so we adopted a fully grown Lab dog. She produces fully grown Lab dog poop. :-) Last week before I mowed I used a shovel to remove the poop, but that was only a day's worth. Now there is a week's worth. So, do you guys with dogs just let the rollers get all crapped up? It seems like it would even cause problems because it would stick to rollers and make "bumps". Or do the rollers roll themselves clean? I don't want to find out the hard way... -Don McLuckie

powermax_paul
Well, Don, that depends upon who mows the lawn. We have three labs and a beagle and if I'm mowing, I dont bother to pick up the poops. Debbie on the other hand, does. I have chains on the turf tires cuz of the steep grade and damp shady conditions. Both the tires, chains and rollers get full of poop but after a while it wears off. Consider it mulch. If you have a steep enough grade, it will roll down hill. Paul ps: Congrats on your rescue lab. Deb and I are members of LEARN (Lab Education and Rescue Network) and have two rescued male blacks.

Don, I just go the organic, lazy way and mow over my Lab's poop. Works fine but stinks up the garage. Have found if I mow the back yard, where the dog is first, most of the poop is gone from the tractor and mower by the time I finish mowing the rest of the yard. I do try to avoid large piles with the tires since it loves to stick to them. Roy

We got 6 rescued cats, THEY BURY THEIR POOP!!!! hehehehe JoeJ [A href='http://www.oldwelder.com']http://www.oldwelder.com[/a]

we have 4 abused rescues, lots of fertilizer here. 2 husky's a mutt and sheperd/mix. all are awesome and love my tractors, they also like to leave mines all over the yard. my son does a pretty good job for a ten year old but when he misses and i hit it, whew, what an odor, does go away but by then my eyes have teared up so I need to stop anyway...:)

I've been a Dobie owner for last 16 years, I currently have two so it's poop X 2 for me. Have ag tires & chains on 64 Sim. Ya know without looking when you've had a close encounter with what we call "yard-bombs". My wife Toni believes in scooping but I figure they're organic so what the heck. Yard is not the greatest so can use the fertilizer. It does wear off rollers & tires in a few passes. There is a Doberman Rescue Assn. also Paul. Will most likely get next Dobie from them. Would also like to mention Dobies are just "Dogs" like all other breeds and dont deserve the bad rap they get. NO Dobie I've ever owned has ever bitten or otherwise attacked ANYONE who has been around them. Our dogs are raised with love! Sure says a lot for us humans when dogs have to be rescued from US! ! ! Dick

We have three American Eskimos,(fuzzy white lunatics) they were trained to leave "puppy bombs" in a small area of the yard. Every day after school the boy goes out and picks up.

Persoanally I just switched to a smaller dog. A long hair Chi hua huas droppings dry up the first hour the sun hits them. They then just crumble under the weight of the tractor. Cats are good with me too! They clean up their own mess. Thought I lost one yesterday. He gave the fan blades in my pick up a BIG KISS when I started it up and drove it down to my shop. Suprisingly it did not kill him. He's up and walking around today, but I bet he still has one heck of a headache. The second cat was a little smarter, he stayed in the radiator shroud and waited to hop out till I shut the truck off.

Proof, indeed, that Simplicity & AC owners are great folks in more ways than one! I have two rescued Brittanys (and can give anyone the url of a Brittany rescue group). Jake and Casey have a fenced area at the back in the trees that I do not mow. But, for their normal during the day nature calls they're on ropes near the house. That area gets the shovel & rake treatment daily - and always before mowing! Jay M.

Nobody mentioned the problems associated with grass bagging systems... I can still remember emptying the grass collection bag after hitting "landmines" with a frontline mower I used to use on the job. Yuck! I think the mulching method works the best, especially with my Simplicity, which shreds and throws so powerfully...

Have a Miniature schnauzer and just picked up an Australian Shepherd/Lab mix from a friend who had an "OOPS" between two of their dogs. For me, I also go the lazy route and just mow over it rather than searching the whole yard and often finding it on my shoes in the process. Normally, by the end of mowing there is no trace. Carrying this poop science further. I don't think it's how big or how many a dogs you have (within reason) as to what you feed'em. Dry dog food (what we feed'em) generally dries up fast and blows away. Wet dog food stays wet and sticks when hit. Table scraps (as a kid I remember folks feed'em this alot) stayed wet forever, stuck, petrified, and didn't want to come off…and we eat this stuff?

We've got 2 dogs that do a good job of planting "yard mines" in the back yard. My wife & I have always subscribed to the mow and mulch it approach. The trick is to let them age a few hours and not try to hit any real fresh ones with those turf tires. As Roy pointed out start mowing where the "mines" are and finish up in front (or wherever) by then it's all gone and you've fertilized the lawn to boot.