Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tecumseh Governor Question

SmilinSam

Ha! I finally got a Tecumseh carb that will work. Problem now is that if you run the throttle ahead to full, it has a tendency to surge and overspeed. It really does this when you put the machine under a load and then remove the load. Tried different spring settings, helped some but not near enough. It also seems that if you set the speed so it is not overspeeding at the point right before the choke engages, it is not running fast enough to work it with a load. The governor arm pull the throttle to the down side like its supposed to while running, so I doubt there are internal problems. Need to know what to do about Governor arm adjustment and spring settings. All My Tecumseh manual say about governors is to take it to a service center for adjustmen. Thats really alot of help. Tecumseh - makes me want to spit when I say it.

Sam, I'm at the point I won't let a Tecumseh in the shop any more. I've never had a good experience trying to solve problems like you describe. My Tecumseh expert says most of those problems are small pieces of dirt somewhere in the jet system. The problem is you can't get to a lot of them. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Ron

this may sound like a foolish question. but did you adjust the carb at idle then full throttle? there is a point where it will start to stumble in either direction but right before it does back off a half turn (at full throttle)then retun it back to idle and see if it will idle without surging if it does then bring the idle up to full and see if it still surges and races.(and is this a new carb)? may not be on all but on the carbs i've had for tech engines there is a felt washer on the butterfly rod that wears out. and allows in more air than needed and your adjustments will be all off hope it helped out some. it is just some of the things that i've run into and thought i'd pass along. matt

I went through the setting procedure like you described. I did not replace the felt washer though. The engine does not appear to have much use, just alot of time sitting and all the carb parts are tight. It seems to run pretty respectable around 2300 RPM, but go over that and it starts to surge and get chaotic. And when I say surge, i don't mean the common back and forth surging associated with Tecumseh, I mean when it starts to surge it SURGES wide out to infinity. Maybe I ought to walk away from it the next time it does that and see from a safe distance how long it would run at that speed...................................KA BoOOM!!!!!

Tecumseh----bah humbug!!! Hope your luck is better than mine. The only Tecumseh engine I own is mounted on an old walk-behind tractor in my front yard that is a "flower bed" ornament for my wife. Marion Kerr

I had one Tecumseh and it was in a John Deere 70. I got it home and took it for a spin. Once it wormed up it would seize(bad bearings). I let it cool down and started it again. Then a BIG BOOM! Oil everywhere! Lets just say that is going to be the last deere and tecumseh I am EVER going to see! William Jordan :P

Sam, I got to agree the carb is not often perfect, BUT, I just gotta say a good word for the 6hp Tecumseh on my ole Troy-built. I've WORN-out 5 set of tines, put in to many "new" gardens in Alaska woods to ever count, developed most of my 3 acers into something growing, paid for itself custom tilling every year for the 18 years I did it,and I've put one piston and ring job in it and one new carb. sits outside since I bought it new in 75, and not very often need more than 2 pulls to run. I don't know, maybe I got a gold one>>>MPH

Thats kind of a funny thing. All the ones I have trouble with are 8 and 10 hp vertical shaft units. A friend of mine collects wheel horses with alot of 6 and 7hp horizontal shaft and rarely has trouble. Maybe there is something to the diference in the types??

Sam, according to common sence logic vertical shaft engines should never work anyway, yet I have a 3.5hp briggs on a JD push mower I bought used in 83. Put one set of points in it and a few plugs, its far from cherry but will still cut grass. don''''t know..MPH

OK gang! In the smaller hp engines I prefer Tecumsech to Briggs engines. The Tecumsechs have a positive oil pump (plunger type), an internal centrifugal governor, and carburetors that can be adjusted. Always seemed to run better for me. Two things though. Tecumsechs have a tendency to blow head gaskets if not properly installed and torqued down and they have a weak spark when starting. They do not, however, tend to dent the flywheel key and lose spark like a Briggs does. My 5 cents worth. Roy