Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question on engines

tej

Brian, Most any single cyl. eng. will work Briggs and Kohler as they have the same mounting distance between bolt holes an the crank centerline height is the same. If you choose a Kohler make sure yo get the "big Pan' block eng. as the 'small pan' block motor will not work without modifications. Also if a Kohler is used ignition switch must be changed from magneto type to battery type.Unless you use a newer koh eng with electronic ign. then no switch change is necessary. Twins of any kind Briggs or Kohler won't work on the 3400 ser trac because frame siderail will contact bottom of cyls not allowing mounting to frame. dlc

I know that the Briggs 9, 10, 12 and 14 HP engines all have the same footprint. Are there standard footprints for size ranges that most engine manufactures adhere to? Does the 7.25 Briggs engine on a B1 have the same footprint as the 9 - 14 HP engines. Is there a new engine with this footprint? Does a twin cylinder Briggs or Kohler have this footprint. What are the easiest engine swaps for a B series AC? Tim

I can't help answer, but would like to ask:

Likewise, what future engine swaps are easy for my 10hp B&S in Simplicity Landlord 3410?

Actually, not true on crank centerline height. I just picked up a B&S last night. At first it appeared to be the same as the 10 horse from my Big Ten. With both on the tailgate, this unknown has a lower deck heigth, slightly lower crank...aww, the crank is probably the only thing that could make a difference for mounting it on the tractor. Perhaps too, the crankcase cover plate opposite of flywheel was cone shaped rather than flat like the ten horse. That cone shape might bulge into the grill.