Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

points plunger problem, please post possible ...uh

Mann

Steve_Wyrick
Mann, Your're need a repair manual for that engine. You can't get the plunger out without taking the plunger bushing out also. I would leave it to an experience person. Although it can be done by you with a little patience. That is not a burr you taking about it's made like that. Be sure and get a manual. My 2 cent worth. Steve

I'm attempting to replace the points and points plunger in a 16 hp. briggs. The points are mounted on the side of the moter and I've ran into a bit of a problem. I can't seem to get the plunger out. It should slide right out but apparenly it has developed a burr on the end or something and is not sliding out. Should I grab it with pliers and force it out or is there some other, more refined, way to go about it? It's the motor on my AC912 I asked about in a post a few days ago. Figure I'll replace the points and plunger first and go from there. Thanks, Brian

Sandy_Lake_Imp
The proper procedure if the bushing is not threaded on the O.D. is to snap off the plunger,tap the bushing and screw a bolt into it.Stack some washers around the bushing and pull the bushing out thru the washers. if the bushing is already threaded at the O.D. simply run a nut down it to pull the bushing. Use the old bushing to drive in a new plunger and bushing. Bill