Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need more help w/ this $@#% starter/generator

Brent_Baumer

Brent_Baumer
This burning up of armatures is getting expensive. Starter/Generator (all new innards) on 3416H will get the hot hot hot symptoms after less than 5 minutes after starting and ruin the armature in no time. New regulators do not help. Belt is definitely NOT too tight. Wiring has not been changed from original setup (which used to be ok) and looks in ok shape. Anyone who can help would be much appreciated or you can buy this tractor and fix the problem yourself cause I'm getting fed up with this starter/generator setup. New regulators are $30 and so are armatures and I don't want to buy anymore of either! Brent

Im no genius at Electrical theory but Have you checked the Solonoid or the Keyswitch.? I was wondering if power is being continuously fed into the Generator somehow after you quit cranking to start the engine. Or, is there a short in the wiring somewhere, a bare wire touching the frame perhaps. Just firing shots in the dark(but I have rewired 3 of these 3400 series, two starting from Scratch with a diagram)

At this point I would do several things: 1) Take the entire generator to a qualified shop and have the armature growled and the fields tested. 2) Check the internal mechanics (armature hitting fields, brush cables hitting frame, bearings, bushings, etc.). 3) Make sure the armature and fields are 12 volt and not 6 volt. 4) Have both the starter and generator functions bench tested at 12 volt under a high load for a length of time. If the generator performs okay in the shop, the problem is most likely in the tractor. 5) Make sure the regulator is 12 volt and not 6 volt. 6) Make sure the battery doesn't have an intermittant internal short. 7) Make sure the proper terminal of the battery is grounded. 8) Check belt alignment. 9) Check every wire, switch, and solenoid for continuity, resistance, and shorting using a wiring diagram as Sam suggested.

Brent_Baumer
Can anyone supply a diagram? I have already done everything suggested. I once read about polarizing the regulator somewhere which is something else I have not done, and don't no how to do. Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks for the tips. Brent

Brent_Baumer
Rechecked everything today. Even had the battery tested. Turned up nothing. Rehooked everything and tried again. Getting consistant 14.5-14.7 volts to ground from the A terminal. Getting consistantly 14.0-14.1 volts across the battery. Let her run for about 5 minutes and unit did get a little hot but not scorching like before (I can put my hand on it continuously and not get burned, but still gets pretty hot. Couldn't touch it before) . Gonna mow for awhile and see what happens. 2 days ago I was only getting 13.5 volts across the battery when the unit was heating up rapidly. **************************** Mowed for about 20min. The SOB is 10 degrees hotter than heck. Checked voltage. Have 13.0 at A term and across the battery. Can I disconnect the A and F wiring except for the solenoid cable to A and just use as a starter? Can probably get alot of starts out of the battery before I need to recharge.

Either the wires on the generator are hooked up backwards or you may have a short in the system. Are you sure your ignition switch is connected correctly and that it is not staying in the start position after the engine starts?