Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another good, free picture resizer

Kent

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A word of caution...I was using the FastStone program above, and it works great, but if you don't select a file name for the new photo (once it's resized, it will not have the same file name, apparently) it will simply apply a generic number like "0001" for a file name. But the next time you open the program it will again apply a generic file name, and your new file will have another "0001" on it. Meaning it will overwrite the previous "0001" and all your previous posts with that file name will be overwritten, and you'll have totally different pics in your posts than you had originally. Just remember to add file names to the new, resized files and you'll be fine...

• 1 month later...

I know that Mihov is a known photo resizer to some here, and imma think it deserves a post here.

Mihov Image Resizer is a handy tool for resizing images in bmp, gif, and jpg picture formats.

It can also convert images from and to bmp, gif, and jpg.

Mihov Image Resizer is FREEWARE, which means that you can use the program free of charge. You may also give it to others so they can use it free of charge.

http://www.mihov.com/eng/

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been raving about this app all over the site. If I post it here, I can just refer to it.

This is far more than a mere 'resizer' - but what it offers is total control over resizing, and lots more. It was designed by a grafx guru. It's only 5 Megs. It's free. Updates are free. Plugins free are available if you want even more. The basic app does so much without the plugins - whatever turns you on. This is the only app I use for (anything) PIX. (sorry = Windows only).

To harness more grafx editing power and indulge in extreme editing would require huge apps like PhotoShop, etc. At a tiny 5 Mb, this little app is fast and amazing. Help included, forum available, updated as it evolves. No frills. Busy menus with many options, defaults usually are good enough. If you try it for a while, you won't use anything else. Simple. sm01 The only difficulty with it is that it offers too much versatility - learning the menus takes a few attempts - some safeguards are built in - always work with copies of your originals in a NewTempFolder until you have what you want. Safe and Simple. :D

Read all about it. LINK: 8)

www.irfanview.com

that's all you need

the rest of this post is optional

What follows is one of several attempts I made to describe this, and offer help with confusion over resizing and posting within the 100Kb limit.id="blue">

(previously posted on TalkingTraxtors 9/12/12)

It depends.

Original pix, from typical digital cameras vary in size from 2-5 megs!!

Resize to 512x384, or 640x480 might, but often won't work with large originals - often come up with 150-250 Kb.

I don't use apps that only do resize - so I don't know exactly how those work, or what features they offer, if any.

I use a very popular 'viewer' called IrfanView - it does tons of things, I think of it as Mini-Photoshop. It's a small app, about 5 megs - so it's extremely efficient - and the menus are busy with options and choices - very versatile - no frills. Designed by a grafx guru.

I use it to resize to 512x384 OR 640x480 OR 800x600 - it doesn't even matter about that part. (but they all fit the screen well)

AFTER resizing, I SAVE - and that offers me a QUALITY SETTING - a sliding scale from 0 to 100 % QUALITY.

Usually 80-90% quality comes up under 100Kb - job done.

In IrfanView, the Q setting is only available on SAVE - nothing changes until it's saved. WHICH is WHY you Always work with copies of your precious originals - hack the copies - then SAVE. That leaves your precious originals untouched, cos all you did was copy them elsewhere. For more safety, always give the edited-result-pix it's own unique filename - such as "Traxtor-Pix-Hakker-Me-0087.jpg" or whatever you preferid="maroon">

So you can experiment and just delete the messed up copies, and try again, until it's exactly what you want. So make copies and put them in a NewFolder and have a party. This is way too easy once you struggle through once or twice. The resolution settings are CLICK selections.

Check the box that says "preserve aspect ratio" and it auto sets dimensions for unusual sized pix - like 469 x 872 pixels - goofy stuff. Aspect preserves size and shape, rather than creating resized fat or short people, or a 20-foot tractor that 14" tall. :D Or you can do that deliberately for a giggle. sm03

been using this for years - free download free updates free

and Powerful - plus all the other tools with it.

www.irfanview.com

gives a full description of the HUGE list of features, options, plugins, it does almost everything, not quite. Extremely handy for viewing other members pix in fullscreen, with Zoom. Fast. Efficient.

= MORE about this stuff =

You can also try it with lower and lower resolutions; but that makes smaller and smaller pix. Resolutions are simply like measuring a picture frame. So 800x600 is larger pix onscreen. And half of that - 400x300 is half the dimensions onscreen - but the total surface area is also less - and so it might fit the limit of 100 Kb. But if you choose a nice size like 640x480, it fits nicely onscreen, it doesn't offend people, gets close to the size limits, and then you can tweak the Quality setting slightly to get under the 100Kb limit. The Quality of the photo is important, but we aren't running a photo contest. The SHRINK pix are still very good for determining how much rust is on an old tractor, and whether or not the deck has holes in it, or whether the paint is original or badly scratched repaint, etc. And if you aren't sure, ZOOM IT until it breaks up, or "pixellates" and turns to nothing buy dots. Pixels are just dots. Megapixels make PIX.

I imagine the resizers do something like this - but I suspect it might either be a menu selection, or it might just do it auto. Or maybe they allow you to select a size and done.

The app I use gives you total control - just work on copies instead of originals, until you get used to how it works. Then you can go to other menus and do some really cute stuff - it does tons of things. Just play with copies and relax. Have fun.

Edited by MysTiK for your reading enjoyment.