Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Yeoman 627 Mower Belt Adjustment

gr-made

Hello All: Just put in a new engine on my Yeoman 627. It is running great and now have to come up with another nickname besides smokey. My question is, I hooked up the 36" mower deck and ran around the yard with it. One problem, I cannot get the blade to disengage. What is the process in adjusting the belt? It is a weird setup, the belt runs from the PTO to the front axle, then around two pulleys 180 degrees to the pulley on the deck. Also what is the process for setting the height of the mower deck. It appears there is only one adjustment on the rh side of the deck to raise and lower the cutting height. I would also like to hear from other Yeoman 627 owners as to what they use their tractors for. It is such a small tractor and I thought it would be great for around trees and hard to reach areas. Thanks for the help GR-Made

I suspect that your problem is with the belt retaining fingers. There should be metal fingers both on the deck and on the motor drive. On the motor, these fingers are (At least on Broadmoors)are attached by the motor mount bolts, so they would have come off when you took off the old motor. These fingers need to be adjusted so that they are about 1/8" away from the belt (when the belt is under tension), on both the deck and motor drive. When the tension is released (ie the pto is disengaged) these fingers hold the belt in place, loosely, and the deck will disengage properly.