Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

weed trimers and tractors!

Anyone tried to mount any type of string trimmer, ie. DR type, to the front of their tractors for some fast trimming after the Simplcicty Cut?

Perhaps front and to one side. Sounds like an interesting idea. Are there any "off the shelf" units that will do this?

I know this is not exactly an AC/Simple tractor post, but if anyone has tried this or could make it work, you guys (and gals) can!

Thanks,
Bill

There's pictures of them in both the New in 1969 and 1967 2012 sections. I understand that they were removed from the market fairly because of safety concerns with the flying debris....

Here's the 1969 picture http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1969/weed_cutter.jpg

On my junk pc monitor, it's hard to see, but how'd that weed cutter work? Was it a sickle bar mounted up front or did it use some sort of string and could it trim against a wall, etc., like a string trimmer?

Thanks,
Bill

It's hard for me to tell, even seeing the original printed material, but never having seen one in person.... You've seen all the info that I have on it...(Dave C., who posts as dlc, one of our members, has found one and is trying to talk the guy into selling it. Supposedly it will even cut small bushes/trees up to 2" in diameter....)

I think it was probably the same basic mechanism as the one for the two-wheel tractors, which is much more visible. (2 and 4 wheel tractors shared the smaller snowblowers, for example, and perhaps other attachments -- remember that the Model W used the same basic engine as the Landlord -- it's a "beast.")

The weed cutter appears to be sort of a rotating dome that had a couple of metal blades sticking out a little bit past the edge of the dome.... I imagine it to work kind of like the replacement "nylon or plastic" blades that are put on string trimmers, however I'm not sure if the blades were hinged or not (in case you hit something). I think the dome was not to cut with, but to feed the weeds/brush into the cutting blades and help push them to the side a bit once they were cut so the tractor could drive over them....

It looks as though it cuts directly to the front of the tractor, not trimming along the sides, so I doubt it would work too well for trimming. I imagine it to be more like a "baby Bush Hog" (used for cutting stuff too big for a sickle bar to handle) but with the cutting attachments exposed.... Maybe it's just my imagination running wild, but I can certainly picture why Simplicity removed it from the market after only a couple of years due to safety concerns....

Bill, Never thought of mounting a string trimmer on the tractor but have considered mounting a circular saw on the loader bucket for brush cutting. Tim

Not as far off as you think! I was just looking at the Simplicity 2 wheel tractor attachments (see what's new) and loe and behold, a Simplicity wee trimmer. I can tell if it's similar to a string weed wacker, but hey, the same family at least.

Greg

Hi kent
I have a rotary weed cutter for a Simplicity two wheel walking tractor it has a 26"cut.The rotary
weed cuter has a blade like a lawn mower.I ran the
rotary weed cuter last year the weeds end up on the tractor after you finish the tractor needs a good
washing.The rotary weed cutter is not very safe.
Karl.