Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restoration

BrendonV

I am 15 and just started today to restore my 63 B-10. I was wondering if any of you guys had advice for a first timer? brendonv

I get the tractor in running order first (engine,trans gear box and steering) whatever it needs if anything. Then pull it all apart,sandblast,sand,primer and paint. Then put her back together again. Add decals and your done. Sounds easy doesn't it, just takes time and money. GOOD LUCK. P.S.Its alot of hard work but its worth it.

Get parts, service, and operator’s manuals and read them thoroughly before you do anything and refer back to them often. Get a notebook to make a list of parts and work needed, and keep a list of parts replaced and work performed. Pressure wash the tractor so you won’t be depressed while working on it. Replace oil, gear lube, and filters. Lubricate fittings as per the manual. Adjust all belts and linkages. Check all bearings, pulleys, shafts, levers, cables, and linkages for alignment, looseness, or binding. Check for frayed, loose, or corroded wiring and terminals. To eliminate future frustration, make sure the inside of your fuel tank is clean and free of rust and water. Install a new inline fuel filter. Install a new battery. Fix any leaking tires. Don’t remove and disassemble any components until you have the space, time, tools, and parts to complete the repair. Put the attaching hardware back in the hole you removed it from so it doesn’t get lost or mixed up. Don’t work on more than one component at a time. Torque all hardware to spec, and don’t take short cuts or do sloppy work. Paint the component when you reinstall it. Above all, understand what a component is supposed to do and how it works. If you’re not sure about something, ask for advice or help. Cosmetic restoration should be done after all mechanical repairs have been performed. If you are going to use the tractor, don’t go crazy. Fresh paint does wonders even if the job isn’t perfect. The wheels are a good place to start and learn about rust removal, metal preparation, and spray technique. Such a project can and should be fun. Don’t bite off more than you can chew, or overspend your budget. Good luck.........

Hey Brendon, I am 15 too, I have a B-10 early also, if you got a question on it, I got answers on it I am rebuilding my grandfathers right now too, good luck,-BradW