Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vari-Drive Belt

JordB110

I’m trying to help a friend who has a B-112. There is no product number, but I suspect it is a 2029930 (12hp, vari-drive, electric start, power lift), which cross references to a Simplicity Sovereign 3112V (909495). Anyway, the vari-drive belt is too loose. According to the catalog the correct belt is a 164080 (54.0”). The OUTSIDE measurement of the existing belt 51.5”. I guess an old belt can stretch, but I’ve never heard of one to shrink. Am I reading the catalog wrong..? Am I measuring wrong..?

Herb, my book shows the belt as 164080 which is what you have. Does it have a idler arm and pulley ? It should have one. Don't know what to tell you other than good luck.

Hi Alan, Yes, his tractor has the idler and everthing looks as it should according to the parts book. The belt looks like the correct one (wider than it is high). It just seems too loose, and it slips, but it measures shorter than it should. According to my parts book your B-210 takes the same belt (164080). Could I trouble you to measure the outside length of your belt..?

Herb, I did learn last spring that measuring the outside of Fractional hp belts is not the way its done because there is some engineering formula to use. My trouble is I was getting long measurements. Have no clue why you are coming up short. replacement I got for sandy lake was 54 inches #164080, it still rubs on the axle but after replacing both varaible pulley haves and adjusting to specs to a "T" I have no slipping problems. Are both the pulleys chaging size smoothly? Just checked my ole belt, wrapping a cloth tape around it gives 56 inches..good luck MPH

Marty, This B-112 appears to be original and complete, but it shows the usual signs of being under maintained in later years. All the vari-drive components appear to be in place without any obvious signs of excessive wear or damage. Before I attempt to fine tune the vari-drive linkages, I want to make sure the belt is correct (you know how some people hate to use OEM belts). The outside measurement of this belt is 51.5”, and its too loose. If someone used an improper belt, it may be too narrow. Perhaps it is dropping too deep into the sheaves. Could I trouble you to measure the actual width and thickness of your belt..? Thanks........

Marty, Thanks for the measurements. The B-112 is at my friend's house. I can't check it today. The belt didn't seem that wide. That may be the problem. I'll let you know later.

The trctor that I have simplicity 3212V the belt looks like it is to long also if I were you I would start with the vari drive first.The belt does rub on the axel (always had since new)The vari drive is great to have for cutting the grass. I use it all the time.Good luck with the adjustment.Bob

Herb, you could be onto your problem with the non oem belt. Mine is 15/16 wide and 1/2in thick, whereas one from napa is 1/2 wide but only 3/8in thick. bought it when I was first workin on putting mine together cuz I throught the ole one was strethed way out makein it rub the axle, then I got an oem from S/L and went lookin for real problem,then learned they just rub on axle.Guess I'm a slow learner. Lookin at mine I can't imagion how a 3in shorter belt would even fit on. MPH

Herb, I also have a B112 with Vari-speed. I know the width of the belt new is 1" or greater (at the outside 'wider' part). So far, it is still working as the belt has worn to less than that over the past couple of years. No only will replacing the belt with the correct oem one eventually solve the slipping problem, but your friend will realize a huge improvement in speed choices. As that belt wears down, the speed window becomes "compressed", so to speak. -Greg