Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loader for newer Soveriegn

SmilinSam

I'm back with the loader I bought. Bought the tractor too, but it needs alot of cosmetics. This is a "Kwik-Way" loader manufactured by the KW corp of Souix Falls. There is a link below, but they are only offering this loader for the Legacy. I asked some questions and look for a response this week. The frame mount on this one looks to be factory??? for the Soveriegn, but the pump mount is a complete cobble job. The hood has been cut out and the grill destroyed to fit it on. It is a nice loader, two way cylinders-pressure up and down, self leveling bucket, a 4' bucket and a 3' bucket, and a weight box. I'll salvage the tractor to take over mowing duties while I will put this on my Massey 2818 with the power steering. I'll re-engineer the pump mount so I won't have to destroy the front of the tractor. I seriously doubt this was meant to be on a Soveriegn, but it does look like it will work well with a little care to mounting the pump and adding wide tires, duals or spacers with a bunch of weight. I guarentee it will look nicer than it does now when I'm done. I eagerly await Kwik-ways answers.[A href='http://kwmanufacturing.com/index.htm']http://kwmanufacturing.com/index.htm[/a]

Sam, From this end I go with your thoughts about saving the good tractor at least until the bugs are worked out of the system. You'll need to fix the BVG box anyway so reinforcemsnts won't be that much more work. My $.02. Ron

A little follow up after working on this some . Major damage was found in the Bevel Gear box . The casting at the bottom bolt holes is broken on both sides and the threads have been stripped on 3 of the four others. The previous owner apparently was a little rough on this. I think between the weight box hanging way out in the back of the tractor and the weight of the loader and the flexing of the tractor as loads were added was too much for the BVG. My thoughts now are maybe not using the 2818. While power steering would certainly be nice, it is definately not a must as the tractor does not steer that bad with a load on while moving. It may be more prudent to replace the BVG housing then build a brace work from the loader frame into the transmission frame to stiffen everything up and eliminate most of the stress on the BVG. I also would like to build a weight box that sits closer in to the rear of the tractor. After using it for a year or so look it over good and if all is well then put it on the 2818. I see more sense in using this beat DA 916 as the guinea pig as opposed to the newer 2818. Any thoughts?? http://www.simpletractors.com/transfer/se_oader.jpg

The photo IS a little out of perspective, with things in the front of the photo looking larger than in the back. The bucket on it is only 36" wide, which is smaller than the buckets on the AC L-12 loaders. Its really not much larger overall than the L-12 either. The big difference here is that the L-12 (if I remember right) frame and weightbox kinda ties the two halves of the tractor together while this one does not. But, thats where I want to go with my engineering . I carefully played around with it yesterday to see how it handled the weight of a loaded bucket and it did quite well even without the weight box attached. Once I add weights and the weight box it will be quite a solid piece. I just want to get the stresses and strains transfered evenly from front to back so I don't have another busted BVG housing like this guy has. I doubt I ever use the 48" bucket for anything, unless it would be snow. I drive a full size loader tractor at my regular job and that helps a great deal in knowing what to look for in this project and how I want it to feel and handle when done.

Quick Way apparently never built one for the "Soveriegn" series, as I well suspected. This from A rep at Quick Way. At least who ever put this outfit together did a real nice job of building the frame mount for this tractor. So, now all I need is time. Not sure where to look for that. Sam