Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help - Question on newer Soverigns mower deck?

SteveP

Wow-Dutch, Nice picture! I don't just mean the grass and dirt, I mean that's a beautiful photo. If the tractor wasn't so dirty, I could see that shot in a Simplicity brochure (way back when) See related post... -gc

Marty, The photos were taken BEFORE I started using the vac when I mow. That dust and grass is just what the deck blew out from mowing dry grass and leaves. Now that I use the vac all the time, I do have a piece of stove pipe over the outlet angled away from the tractor & ME.

Please refer to the previous post for my comments there. I agree that the blowback and grass accumulation is terrible on the newer Sovereigns. Has anyone tried a flexible skirt? The bad part is that a lot of the grass, dust, dirt, and leaves wind up inside the engine cooling system. Simplicity and Kohler blew it on their design(s) this time. Roy

My father has a 2000 sovereign with a 48 inch deck and standard blades. Grass clipping fly out from the front of the deck and very quickly accumulates on top. Not just a little but packed in there around the deck pulleys! He tried attaching a skirt on the front of the deck to no avail. Also grass clippings accumulate under the much more than his old 7119. He has owned Simplicity since the 60's but is very disappointed with this situation. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can anything be done? Have any of the dealers out there had to deal with this? Thanks Steve

I have the same exact problem with a '96 Sovereign. The problem is so bad I removed the belt covers so I can keep the pulleys clear. Does your father's deck have "gull wing" blades..? I was going to experiment with a skirt, but haven't got around to it yet. I have a PTO vac and discovered that if I leave it connected, operating, and discharging from the rear, the '96 mows as good as my '78 (WHAT A SOLUTION TO GET WHAT EXISTED 20 YEARS AGO..!!. Have you connected Simplicity about the problem..? I haven't, but think I will.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=4410&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=4410&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

One other caution. This is what my tractor looks like if I mow anything other than lush green grass. The air intake design sucks an unbelievable amount of dust into the filter. I service mine EVERY HOUR. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/work.jpg

Been thinkin on this newer mower problem, Herb, since you have one of each, is the length of the two the same? I'm thinkin from the forwrd point of the center blade to the rear of the deck. Wondering if Simp. narrowed that to improve turning rad or something. MPH

Are you sure the front blade pitch is not too high? If it is 1/8"-1/4" higher than the rear try either lowering it more or switching to the old straight blade as Dave suggests. You will need the appropriate hardware also.