Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modems

StinKy

I'll second what Kent said about the price of high speed lines. I have 6 Frame Relay T-1 lines and pay $564 a month for each, a little pricey for your average home Internet user. Cable modems are fast but have one problem - if you get one and like it, and your neighbors ask you about it, tell them it is terrible! That is because, as more and more users get connected to the same "pipeline", the cable to a certain area, it can get bogged down and slow, more so than DSL or Frame Relay. The cable company can solve it by putting in more pipelines, but will they? DSL is a good alternative but its availability is sketchy and based on your physical distance from a provider's switch. Sometimes the cost is based on distance as well. Even if you are within the distance limitations, you may be told you can use DSL only to find out otherwise because of certain older equipment installed in the line. Satellite has great download speed but most of them still use, and tie up, your old phone line to upload anything. And keep in mind that you are uploading everytime you request a new page, so it is often. I have heard that newer satellite system overcome this, but I don't know how. More bad news? If you go out and buy that faster 56k modem you probably will never actually connect at that speed. My 56k routinely connects at 26.4 because of sorry phone system equipment in my neighborhood. Check it with your 33.6, what is it actually connecting at? Check with your local providers for DSL and cable modems and talk with their customers to see how happy they are.

This question is sort of unrelated to tractors but since we communicate about them thru the internet I guess it's valid. I've seen what friends tell me are high speed modems. Examples are T-1, T-3, T-3+, DSL. I'm running a 33.4. It's slow, but the phone system I'm on is (from what they say)rather antiquated which probably adds to the overall slowness. Can someone shed some light on these high speed hookups?? Do they use optical fiber lines? Dick

T-1 through T-3 are highspeed lines used by businesses and cost a LOT of money per month -- they're essentially dedicated lines, and most use fiberoptics. You really only have three affordable options for home service that's cable modem, digital satellite or DSL. Not all cable TV systems support cable modems -- this service is not usually available in rural areas. If it is available, I'd recommend it. It's fast and reliable, though in busy service areas the services slow down since t all users on your "trunk line" share the same bandwidth. DSL, an acronym for Digital Subscriber Line, uses your existing phone lines to provided a full-time connection using digital signals (regular phones are analog). You use filters on your regular phones to support both a DSL modem and telephones on the same phone line. DSL is an always-on (like cable), direct line (unlike cable's shared line), but it only operates about half as fast -- though there's no competition with local traffic jams. I have DSL (cable modems aren't available in my little town) and it provides higher speed connections at about the same price as a separate phone line would have cost. My service is through AOL & Verizon, and is NOT very reliable. It is down probably 25% of the time (I can dial up using a regular modem when DSL network is down). There is also a distance limitation on DSL from the nearest switching center, though. I've linked a site where you can see if DSL service is available in your area. I can't speak to digital satellite service -- someone else will need to step in... Bottom line is that your options may be limited, based upon where you live. As a minimum though, I'd suggest you get a new V90 modem. It will connect you at up to 56.6, or whatever your local phone system will allow at the time you log on....[A href='http://www.dslreports.com/.']http://www.dslreports.com/.[/a]

Becareful with the cable modems. Most providers only allow download access. You can view all you want, but when you need to send email or fill out a form for shopping and the like, you have to disconnect, and then use a dial-up modem.

My cable modem works fast but likes to drop out and requires a "modem reboot" to get going again. Seems like a software incompatibility between my computer and the modem. One other problem. Some pirate stole my IP number to get free cable Internet. When he logged on it kicked me off the net. After 2 hours on the phone with the cable company they identified the bad guy and smoked his modem. They also assigned me a new IP number. I have since installed a firewall to protect myself. A cable modem, without a firewall, allows anyone easy access to your computer. Roy

iam admittedly behind the times in all this pc stuff BUT installed firewall week ago. Didnt realize how undesirables could enter your system. I got Zone Alarm. So far i get six or seven alerts per 4hrs. spent online average. Guess its working Dick

I have DSL connected to a local school as I'm the network admin there. I'm getting full T1 speeds which is great. Typically, DSL is limited to 18,000ft from the CO (telephone central office) at the absolute maximum. As stated earlier, cable modems are considered a shared media. With any of the broadband products, I'd either get a hardware based firewall (Linksys and Netgear make good ones) to keep the baddies from snooping around your network. Satellite internet is okay, but because of the range of current satellites, latency (how fast a signal travels from your computer to the ISP) is attrocious. Along the lines of over a second. If you do any online gaming or videophone, satellite is not the way to go. Pretty much all the broadband options beat a modem. I supported them for three years at Diamond Multimedia, and even then, I thought they stank :-)[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]