Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sundstrand Hydro Pump question

SmilinSam

Dutch, How do you perform the pressure test and what equipment do you need? Also which relief valve is the Charge releif, the one on top or the one on the side? I don't have a repair/service manual, just a parts manual.

Make sure that the little vent on the left front hasn't rusted shut, I believe that if it does, it will cause the case pressure to rise . Don

The "charge relief" is the one on the left top between the 2 "check (freewheeling) valves". Be careful, under the plug is an "o" ring, some shims (maybe), a sping, and the poppet. Attach a pressure guage (min 1000 lb.) with a snubber to the port on the left front. You checked the vents already.... right..?

I have a sundstrand unit here in a D/A 916 that is leaking from A: the release valve nipples on top B: the pump to gearcase seal C: the fill and check pipe. Seems logical that this unit may be building up tooo much pressure inside. Anyone have any ideas as to what it may be and what needs to be fixed here??????? Sam

Sam, Have you performed a pressure test..? If the pressure is too high, I would start by removing the "charge relief valve" and checking for debris, and make sure the poppet is not binding.

I checked the vent last night and it WAS stuck shut. Opened it and it did release pressure bottled up inside. I let the tractor sit and run for a while and did not see the leaking on the lower end like it was but I am still getting oil coming out from around the nipples on the push valves.

Sam, I have 3 tractors with the SS hydro, but only my 917 leaks around the nipples also. If you look at these valves apart there is only a metal to metal contact in the area around the nipples. How can they not leak? I am looking for suggestions also. Good Luck! Mike S.

There is no way to repair them except by replacement that I know of when they start leaking. They can sometimes be freed up if they get stuck. It is a good idea to apply a light film of grease around the poppet to help avoid this.