Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rototiller vs. snowblower

I want to trade a rototiller, used only a few times (fits an AC 920) for a snowblower. Does anyone know of the value differential between the two? ie: which is worth more. Also, what is the difference between a single stage and a two stage (other than an additional stage). Finally, how can I tell what snow blower model will fit my tractor, and conversely, what my tiller will fit (other than the part number matching labryinth which I have been lost in before). Lot's of big questions, any help will be valued.

ps. thanks for the manual tips jackl

Hank,

Since no one else has replied -- I'll give it a shot.

Based on my searching for an affordable tiller for a B series, I'd estimate that the tiller is worth about 1.5 times that of a snowblower, with both in the same condition. But, this will likely depend on the part of the country you live in.

I live in snow country (Massachusetts) and snowthrowers are pretty common here. They seem readily available in the $150-$275 range (for B series). Tillers seem much more rare and harder to find. When you can find them, they seem to run $200 to $300 or more...

Further, major repairs such as replacing the tines on a tiller would likely be far more expensive, so condition may be even more critical.

Single versus dual stage snowthrowers: This is about as contraversial as "What's the better tractor?" Biggest difference is that dual stages can operate at a lower speed than single stage. The dual stage has "blades or paddles" (not sure of the correct technical term) to take the snow into the blower and an additional auger or screw-type impeller shaft that throws the snow out of the chute. Because they do not actually throw the snow, the "paddles" can turn much slower. The paddles themselves are often straight, or just slightly curved.

With a single stage, the "paddles" are actually shaped like an auger. They both pull the snow into the blower and throw it out the chute. They spin MUCH faster to do this. You need to run the tractor at full throttle, just like when mowing, and adjust the ground speed or the "width of the cut" you're making based upon how much snow, how heavy, etc.

Based on my experience, the dual-stage may be a little less susceptible to clogging (especially for a new user), but a single stage, once you learn to operate it well, will throw the snow much further. Single stages SEEM to me to be a bit faster overall in clearing the snow, but I'm not sure there's a significant difference. Regardless of what advertising claims are made, both will quickly clog in wet, heavy snow and slush -- especially IF you don't know what you're doing. Once clogged, the single stage is much easier to clear....

For many years, Simplicity did not even offer a dual stage. I'm not sure why they finally introduced one, but it may have been due to "customer perceptions/ marketing hype of their competition" rather than any inherent shortcoming of the single stage. When they did introduce a dual stage, I think (NOT sure) that it was the big 52" one for the 4041s that was made by some Canadian company and not Simplicity. I don't know when they introduced smaller 2-stages. Bottom line: DO NOT think the dual stage is inherently better. It will operate satisfactorily in dry snow at lower engine speeds, but that's about the only significant difference. With wet, heavy snow, you'll need to keep it spinning as fast as possible also....

As far as what will fit it, I think that anything for a 700 series AC or the 7000 series Simplicity (or later) should fit, if it is for the larger tractors.... I'm not completely sure about this -- will someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong -- because I don't want to steer Hank wrong....

Kent