Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  

Gas tank question

Picked up a tractor that has old gas in the tank. Was wondering what was the best way to clean this out along with the sediment. There seems to be a little rust deposits in the tank also. Is there a easy way to get this out or do they make a cleaner for the inside of a gas tank? Kris

gr-made
I once heard of a great trick from a guy doing just what you are asking about. What he said he did was first drained and removed the tank from the tractor. He then put in about a quart of WD-40 or some other penetrating oil in the tank with a couple dozen big nuts/washers. Next he strapped the tank with bungies to the back wheel of his mower and drove it around while cutting the grass. He said after about an hour of rotating around and around with the nuts in the tank she came out clean as a whistle. Drain out the WD-40 and flush out with clean gas the strap on and fill up. Good luck GR-Made

geezer
hello . i've just used a good thick piece of an old towel stuffed it in the tank(after all the old gas is out)and soaked up the remaining gas and rust deposits. and if it has got bad rust i have used this stuff called KREEM it is used on motorcycle tanks that develope rust from sitting a long time. it works great and the KREEM fills the seams and any other defects that are in the tank but first you need to remove the on-off valve in the bottom and then put the stuff in move it around till the inside is coated then leave it in a well ventilated area over night then your all set when it dries it will be like new . geezer

ka9bxg
If you dump in some acetone and shake it up it will come clean very easy.The longer you keep it in the cleaner it will become.I get mine at FleetFarm or to some of you it is Farm and Fleet.