Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis-Chalmers 912H Hydrostatic oil?

I have a AC 912H. Its about an 85-87 model with what I'm sure is either the original or at the very least 5 or more yr old hydrostatic drive fluid. I checked with the local dealer (Yetman's in Winnipeg Manitoba) who quoted me an unbelievable $56.00 liter for the Simplicity all season hydraulic fluid. I was a little put off to say the least and have set out to find an alternative to this obscene price. Can anyone give me a reasonably priced alternative. I shopped around and have found numerous hydraulic fluids, some are for forklifts, presses etc, others for combined brake, transmission, hydraulic systems. before I buy the wrong fluid could I get a little advice from someobne who knows. Also if possible, is there a generic alternative to the $20.00 filter for the hydrostatic drive? Please either e-mail me or reply to the group. Thanks.

Re: hyd oil. I think I might know what the deal might be. We had a similar price when come up on our computer with this oil. When we ordered the part# on the bottle we receive a case of 12 bottles. If this is correct dividing 55 by 12 would be in the area it is at our shop. I'm at the house and don't know exactly what we get but it seems to me in the 4.00+ area. re: filters. These filters are rated in micron filtration and flow, so if you start looking at subs be sure you know what you are buying. There was a change in the side mounte filter a few years back to a taller filter to increase the flow and reduce the transmission noise. The new filter is good for the earlier side mt relpacement. When I go back to the shop I'll get part numbers and post them.

We were at Kohler school this year and they had genuine, and substitute filters cut apart and on display the substitute filters were a cross to a car. I believe a Chrysler Mitsubishi. They had a smaller filter area and according to Kohlers test the bypass valves don't match Kohlers oil pump requirements, and the size of contaminents, they filtered was larger. At our shop we only carry OEM, because I feel if you have a $1200 to $2000. engin, no oftener than they get changed I would feel more secure with the right part.
BAck to Hydro oil. Certain Grasshoppers use a synthetic oil in the hydros to not foam under high tenmp and load conditions and it is about 20+ dollars a quart. Sometimes this will squeeze a few miles out of a tired old Eaton, like in a 4200 or 5200. Don't intend for this to be a lecture, and this is only my opinion, and its free. Good luck Al

TimB, That price is a shocker. I bought some Simplicity hydraulic fluid at my dealer last year that was suppose to work in the hydro trans and the power lifts for a couple dollars. I found out it didn't work in an old B series lift that requires 30 weight oil. Maybe one of the dealers in the club can give an answer on that price. Tim