Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to use your tiller

tej

It finally dawned on me this year how to get control of the tiller. When I would put the tiller down it would take weight off the tractor and push it ahead at a fast speed. I then started tilling shallow enough that the tractor would hold it back. Then came the revelation, put the hydraulic in float. The tiller now digs it's self down with out taking weight off the tractor. Also if it hits a rock or such it can jump up. No more fast rides. Another point, the tiller lift shaft will stay in the lift tube without putting in the pin; however, the pin holds the shaft out about an inch and this inch is needed for belt tensioning. So if you haven't already figured all this out yourself, now you know. Tim

6-5-99 @ 22:09

Tim,

How is the tilling depth controlled on tractors with
hydraulic lift?

My B-1 has adjustable stops on the lift lever to limit
the tilling depth. Do the hydraulic lift systems have
a method to control the depth?

Thanks,
Roy

Roy, With hydraulic lift you can set it any depth you want. However it is best to put the hydraulic in float and let the tiller seek its own depth. As with the manual lift the max depth posible is limited by the range of movement of hitch. Tim

• 1 month later...
Tim,
I just bought a B-112 and got an operator's manual with it. I was just reading it, and saw a paragraph in the hydraulic lift section that describes how to use the tiller with a hydraulic lift. Here is a paragraph from the manual, confirming what you figured out...

"NOTE: The rear mounted tiller attachment should be operated only in the rear "float" position. Do not operate the tiller in the "hold" position, as difficulty would result if an obstacle were encountered. This would raise the rear wheels off the ground and propel the tractor forward at a dangerous rate. To get in or out of either "float" position, squeeze the release bar handle upward to clear the index tab."

Greg