Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Time for a New Flag ?? Nope.

Tuffy

I went to the hardware store today and bought a new flag. Our old one has been out since before Memorial Day and stood steadfast through Flay Day and the Fourth of July. But it was getting a little faded and with everyone else in the neighborhood jumping on the bandwagon with new flags I thought it appropriate to replace mine. But the Old Glory looked better to me. It was faded but not torn. Weathered but Stately. Not new but Experienced and Strong. The old flag made me feel more assured that Our Flag Was Still There. So I will let my tried and true Star Spangled Banner Yet Wave to remind me and others of how deep and strong our commitment to Freedom and Liberty is. I'll keep the old flag flying at least until Veterans Day. And I'll save the new flag for a more appropriate time to raise it; and then retire my Old Glory, not replace it.

I have flown a flag over my house since I bought it ten years ago and I am also proud of my old glory. It is nice to see all the flags in the neighborhood . I hope they all stay to remind us of how blessed we are to live in such a great nation .

Tried to replace my large Ole Glory, about 12 x 20 when I was in Fairbanks today cuz the winds of this summer have done some tearing. She been up my 40 foot pole since July 4th 93. only half up now as is was after the election 5 years ago. MPH

I can't replace our "Old Glory". My wife's dad was a US Navy pilot and was doing an air show at Glenview near Chicago in 1953 when his plane crashed. Neither Debbie nor I knew her dad, Lt. William R. Estell, as he crashed two months before Deb was born. We have two flags from his burial service. One which we keep for future generations and one that we proudly (but protectively)display. These flags have only 48 stars, but no-one really notices, and we feel as a tribute to her Dad, we cannot fly any others. Just as a side note, I have been so choked up lately, seeing the outpouring of support from other countries. What really got me was the playing of our national anthem at the changing of the guard at Buckingham Square. There have been many other instances, however, where Old Glory has been displayed as a show of support in other countries. It feels good that what we do and what our flag stands for is appreciated globally. I can only imagine the pain that family and friends of the deceased and missing from this tragic event are feeling. I hope however, that they can at least find a little comfort in that this country is 1000 percent more united than it was 7 days ago, because of what has happened. Paul

I just hope with all this newfound patriotism that proper etiquette is used and communicated to these newbies. If a flag is left out during the night and in inclement weather it must have a light shining on it. It is improper for a flag to be up at night without a light. The flag should NEVER EVER touch the ground when lowering it as well. Many men died to protect this flag and what it stands for, we should respect it properly.

Steve, Thanks..... Excellent point. Below is a link not only for "newbies", but for everyone. My wife has these rules memorized and will not hesitate to hunt down building managers whenever a flag is improperly displayed. Incredibly, she has always been thanked and has never had an argument or problem.[A href='http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html']http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html[/a]