Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More on Wards PowerMax

JordB110

I heard a while back about rumors of Wards selling the PowerMax for one year and calling it the '953'. I just found an ad on YTMag(see link) for what seems to be this very tractor. What do y'all think? Jordan[A href='http://www.antique-tractors.com/cgi-bin/gclasquery.pl']http://www.antique-tractors.com/cgi-bin/gclasquery.pl[/a]

You may be correct, Kent, I just don't know and I haven't ever seen one. However, one of our club members, Jim Smith (aka - jjreds) owns a Wards Twin 20 and is currently searching for PowerMax attachments for his tractor. We just need conclusive evidence, i.e.- a picture to put in the gallery. How 'bout it, Jim?? Share some knowledge with us about your tractor. Jeff

According to and old AC dealer in Palmer, Wards did sell the power-max/720 for one year. Thinking it would have been a 620 cuz I'm pretty sure he said in 73. He thought it was great because they were about 400 dollars higher then he was. I talked with him quit awhile after lookin at that 720 with loader. he has a 720 with deck he just bought back and a Duez..My brother has also told me he thinks he recalls seeing one at wards about then cuz he used a friends Power max to put his lawn in.. MPH

This is opinion only -- I have no facts to back it up... Since Wards quit selling Simplicity-made tractors and started using Gilson-made tractors about the time that Allis-Chalmers first purchased them in 1965, I doubt that a Pow'rMax was sold by Montgomery Wards... I know for fact that the 1968 Wards tractors were Gilson-made, I just don't know the exact last year of the Simplicity-made Wards. The 4040/4041 Pow'rMax was introduced in late 1972 as a 1973 model, as far as I can tell. Again, this is my opinion, and I could easily be wrong. My wife would certainly agree. As the bad joke goes: I knew my wife was "Mrs Right" -- but I didn't know her first name was "Always"....

I searched on "Wards" in Jordan's link and found this: Contact: Ken Located in: Not given, MO, USA For Sale: 1978 wards lawn tractor 20hp onan triple range hydro cat.1 3pt. ind.brakes 60deck rearblade 2way hydrics Condition: good ready to work Price: 3850.00 Phone: 6604856000 If I have time I'll call him and get particulars and hopefully a picture. Paul

Duh! I found the ad, now. Thanks, Paul. I understand they are blue & white. I'd like to see one, sometime. I'll bet there's not many out there. Jeff