Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler rebuild

StinKy

I recently learned of rebuilding Kohler connecting rods by installing Volkswagen bearing inserts in them and grinding the crank journal to a certain size. Can someone supply the details on how this is done? Has anyone written an article in a trade journal which might be used as a guide? Thanks, Dick

Hi, Some of the tractor pullers do this. I talked to one of my puller friends about it and he said it costs about 100.00 to have the rod done. I don't know what rod they use. On the new generation rods Kohler is quite adament that the rod should be replaced if it has the new positorque bolts and they have been tightened once. That is why with these rods you are not supposed to plastigage them. If we had a new engine and for some reason had to remove a rod cap, we would replace the rod under warranty. We would not reuse it. These new bolts are a reliability improvement. I would suspect that there is some bolt re work in this insert rework. This is not done for cost, but is done in the modified engines to allow the bearing to be changed without a major teardown after these engines have a very few hours of pulling use. Some of the all out stroker crank engines cost 5 or 6 thousand to build and have a life of maybe as few as 10 hours of actual running pulling and they are tired. I don't think for the average user the insert route is practical. Good luck, Al E.