Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Do Not Be Deceived....

Kent

A friend shared this letter from Dave Chamberlin, an F-16 crew chief in the Air National Guard. (They're the ones who are flying air defense missions above the US right now...) I thought it was worth sharing with you.... -------------------------------------------------- Do Not Be Deceived (An open letter to those responsible for the terrorism conducted against the people of the United States on September 11, 2001) You do not know us. It is obvious that you do not by your actions. You may think that what you see in the American people is reality. You may think that we are a soft people who will not give up our luxuries for anything or anyone. You may watch our news on CNN and see the murder in our streets. You may watch Cops and see the drug dealers and the addicts. You may see a past President who lies and commits numerous acts of sexual immorality. You may see Americans divided along hundreds of political lines. You may see us fighting over sporting events and not getting along with our neighbors. You may see a country with hundreds of religions that cannot agree on numerous points. You may see a country where racism and bigotry still exist. You may see overweight gluttonous people glued to their television sets. You may see the conflict that arises over capital punishment and our desire not to get into a war. Do not be deceived. This is not the real America. You would best be advised to pay heed to the words of those who have made the same mistake. Admiral Yamamoto said after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve ...” The Japanese prior to that had looked at America with the same eyes that you do now. Ask any Japanese older than 50 about what happened to them. Ask any German of the same age. Yes we are a peace-loving people. But watch the news and look into the eyes of the people at the candlelight vigils. If you look close you will see it. There is determination and steely resolve. We are a people who conquered great adversity to create this nation. We left our comfortable homelands to make a perilous journey that many did not survive. And yet we still pressed on. We came to a land of new diseases and starvation. And yet still we pressed on. We came to a land of natives who killed many of us. And yet still we pressed on. We came to a land of drought, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards and 115-degree heat. We came to a great, unexplored wilderness and left all of our possessions behind. We fought the greatest military power of the time with farmers and won. We built a new system of government that the world had never seen. And we did it not because of a king or a religious ruler. We did it because that is what the people wanted to do. We will not give our heritage up because you kill our people. We will not give up on our system of government because you murder our children. We will not give up if you rape our wives. We will not give up if you flatten every building. The only way you will ever win is to kill every single one of us. That is not a threat – it is reality. We will give up all that we have to keep our country. And you may think that we will not spill our blood. You would be horribly wrong. You don’t even understand what goes through our hearts when we see our flag and when we hear our National Anthem. You really don’t know how we feel when we see caskets draped in our flag and hear Taps played by the bugler. Or when we see the Missing Man formation or boots at the foot of a rifle topped by a helmet. Or when we see the names and faces of those who died in a building collapse. When we see these things then all of our differences dissolve like the mist and the sleeping giant awakes. Your only hope of survival is to hide. You have no idea of what we can do to you. Do not be deceived. Dave Chamberlin 13 September 2001

HAVING A DAUGHTER SERVING IN THE AIR FORCE,ASIGNED TO THE PENTAGON,I CAN ONLY COUNT MY BLESSINGS THAT SHE IS OK.BUT DO AGREE THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY LIFE IN AMERICA HAS BEEN TOUCHED IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER!!

Those who doubt those words should remember that many Iraqi troops during the “Mother of All Wars” surrendered to journalists when they were not under fire. That tells me the Muslims are not as fanatical as the Japanese we defeated 45 years earlier. To me, a far more dangerous opponent is one who fights for some deep love than one who fights because of some shallow hatred. Those who doubt those words should just analyze what happened this week. After hundreds of members of the New York Fire & Police Departments were killed with their leaders, hundreds more took their place. Then thousands of iron, construction and other workers and professionals walked off their civilian jobs to volunteer for hazardous duty in a war zone not knowing if other buildings would collapse or if other attacks were imminent. Those volunteers had black, white, brown, and yellow skin. The World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon, even the White House are merely symbols of America, not the substance of America. We are not ruled and ordered by tyrants. Our President, our governors, our mayors are only temporary leaders WE THE PEOPLE elect. The love of freedom and the will to fight for it is in each and every American heart.

As a Vietnam era vet and a former Navy man who worked in the Pentagon I can relate to Chamberlain's words. No greater wrath hath an American who has seen his country, his people, his liberty, his freedom attacked. The coming days, weeks, months and years will be historical in how once again those who would threaten our way of life have " ... awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve ..." I have no doubt; no doubt at all of our resolve to right the wrong thrust upon us. God Bless America and God Bless each of our citizens and family members as we enter this fight. Steve (former USN)