Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Using a Revitalizer as a Weeder

beamer

Today I decided hook up my Revitalizer to get ready for overseeding. Observing the shallow “cuts” the Revitalizer made in the turf, I wondered how it would work removing weeds from the gravel drive. It works GREAT..!!!!! Just a few passes and the weeds and roots were gone. The Revitalizer is certainly an under-rated piece of equipment. I did feel guilty working in the yard on such a beautiful day. I couldn’t get my mind off my fellow Americans who are no longer with us.

Sam & Marty, Here are some photos. This is the 38". I imagine the 26" is similar. #1 & #2 are a "before & after". #3 is the revitalizer in action. Unlike the tiller, notice how little the revitalizer disturbs the soil. It can be set to just skim the surface to remove thatch. 1/4" depth seems ideal for over-seeding. #4 Full depth rips out roots. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/revit-weed.jpg

Thanks for the pics Herb, for some reason I this pictured as a front mount deal, guess my cells got it and the weed cutter blended together..MPH

Sam, The noise is about like loose change in a dryer. There is very little vibration, and next to no "discharge". The thin edge of the blades "slice" through the gravel rather than "churn" or "beat".

Herb, what kind of blades are on there that the gravel does not destory them. I've kinda been wondering all summer how one of those would work on "new garden dirt" full of roots. Kinda like you were plowing up this spring. Top soil full of roots is a major challege in this country around me. My spinning disk rototiller experment was not worthy of a "patent" though it does alright on dry roots..MPH

Thats one of the few things I need that I have not run across yet. Found one with a Broadmoor once but the guy was asking new price for the group and the tractor had a burned up wiring harness. Couldn't deal with him unfortunately.

The blades are "ripper" type supposedly made of hardened steel, but I'm keeping an eye on them for wear. Since the maximum depth of cut is only slightly more than 1", I doubt they would be much use on roots. I haven't received the manuals yet, so I don't know what is available. As you can see, each blade has a hole, so replaceable "hammers" should be able to be affixed. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/revit-blade.jpg