Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

Confession time

Les
It is time for a change. I must resign as Vice-President of the club, for I have done a very bad thing. I have bought a Kubota. To make things worse I have sold my 4 B Series and attachments. I did make sure that they went to a good home where they will be cared for, repaired and restored. Its' true that there is no excuse for this despicable act, but here goes: -For the past year I have been heavily involved, both physically and financially, with creating plastic materials made from Soybean Oil. This country and the world must reduce our dependancy on petroleum. The time and dollars to spend on tractors just isnt there like it used to be. I need a larger tractor that is very dependable to get my grass mowed quickly. -For the past several years I have been looking for a good 720 or Sunstar. You just cant find them for under $3000. For $1750 I have a very dependable and economical Kubota with a standard 3 pt. hitch and PTO. Now I can go down to the rental center and use their tiller, mowers, box scapers, or whatever. The 720 and Sunstar's have Cat 0 hitches and non-standard PTO's. Attachments are specialized and hard to find. Someday, I still hope to be mowing my grass with a beautiful 620 or 720, now just isnt the time. I will still throw snow, till, and trim with my two 900 series AC's. I would like to remain the clubs' historian.

powermax_paul
Les, I'm sorry you were forced into one of thse black smoke makers. Hey, at least it's orange! If it would make you feel more comfortable sitting on the seat of that tractor, you could paint the hood white and put on a "System 9020" decal. Gene Benenga has some for sale and if you talk nice to him, he might even sell you one for your Kabuto. As for your your resignation, I hope you're not serious. There's no statute of limitations on tractors. Heck, we've had a US Pesident that that was unfaithful and he didn't resign. (I knew you conservative guys would like that) Paul

BradW
Hey Les, did you try to send me an E-mail, I got a blank message from you and lost your phone number, could you send it to lhotp@msn.com ? Thanks,-BradW P.S. I like Simplicity for lawn work, but when it comes to garden work, Larger compact and sub-cmpact Kubota's are the way to go.

carter
happyjackl@mediaone.net Hello to all, This is the first reply that I have made sense or about the first of June as I have been either out of town or under the weather so to speak but I just had to make time for this statement that you Les have made while being home for 2 days "ok". First off Les I also own a Kubuta B-21 to which is a really nice tractor but I also still have my toys to play with. Point being Les is that even if I didn't own a Simplicity product I still would stay here just to add my 2 cents worth every now and then and also to keep in touch with all of the good friends and fellow members that I have made over the past couple of years. You have as you know been here even before myself and this site just won't be the same without you or for that matter any of the senior members "members" from the beginning. You as I know are very busey and with your bussiness I sure hope that you can somehow figure out a way of keeping us all company with your kindness and the great job that you do for all of us being our "Vice-President" along with the history section that you put all the hard work in for all of us. "Les" I know that you must really be kidding like someone else stated about resigning "write" or at least I sure hope so. Its members and friends like yourself that keep this timex watch of ours "club" ticking like it does day after day. "Les" I am not trying to put any kind of guilt trip on you but just letting you know how much you would be missed by myself and many others to boot. "Ok" now Les will you let us all know that you are kidding real soon as in the next day as I have another appointment in another state this thursday and I can't stand the thought of not knowing for sure whether you are kidding or not while being out of town again. Best to all, Jack Lindstrom >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. I hope to be back partaking in our club soon.

Brent_Baumer
Glad you're back, Jack. Look closely, were're near our 5000th message. I just went back to you famous 3000th, WOW 62 replies. Hope you'll do the honors on #5000 as well. Again, nice to hear from you, hope you're back to stay. Brent

MikeES
Les, I own a B-2400 and also 7 AC/Sims. I have the Kubota for exactly the same reasons. If Simplicity made a 4-wheel drive compact tractor, I would own that instead. Until then.... Good Luck! Mike S.

powermax_paul
Les, If you really are serious about resigning, I apologise for my earlier reply. Wish you all the best in your endeavors. Hope you'll stop in and talk to us from time to time. Paul

JDSnyder
Les, I was snooping around the used garden tractors at a John Deere Dealer in Ohio when I was on vacation. I came across an Allis Chalmers diesel tractor, model unknown. It was pretty faded and I couldn't find a model, but the price sticker said it was a 1975. It was larger than a B10 and smaller than a Sovereign. What was of particular note, though, was a label "Made in Japan" It might have been made by Kubota. If Allis could stick their name on an import diesel, you could do like suggested above and relabel your Kubota! Seriously, I will miss your support and input. Jeff Snyder

Les
You guys should know by now that I enjoy kidding around. My position is that I get enough greif from work and being married, Simpletractors should be a relief, a hobby that must remain enjoyable. Really glad to see you back, Happyjack! I think alot of us were kind of worried about you. Anybody heard from Fred Olson lately? I just couldnt pass on the Kubota, too cheap! A lot of tractor for the money. I am serious that someone different should become club officer, keep things going strong! We probably should address the "compact tractors" in the history section. In the late 70's, early 80's AC sold, I believe Mitsubishi compacts, which were identical to some John Deeres' of the same period. The 5010 and 5020 models were sold as Simplicities as well, like 9523 models? Need some imput. The AC 5015 was different, wasnt it? I am sad that I had to buy a Kubota, life has its' dissappointments.

Les
Well Les now I can head out of town knowing that you will still be with us in one form or another. I have had alot of kind messages from fellow members wondering just what has been up with me. I have taken the summer off for some r and r and at the same time getting some other problems taken care of that are about the same as the ones we all have with our tractors. I won't be back on line for 3-4 weeks yet but I am looking forward to joining in on the discussions and other working of the club but like yourself Les I just can't or won't be able to partake in the running of things or I would step up to the plate if asked to. Thanks to all and it wasn't my intent to leave anyone one left hanging about my well being but something I just could not deal with at the time. So I am sorry for my fellow members for any worrying that I have caused you. Yes Les I know that you are a kidder and just sometimes I can take things to serious but that is just my nature. Best to all, Your friend >>->happyjack<-<<

SmilinSam
Well, dad has a newer Kubota with all the gadgets, it sits right next to the AC garden tractor tiller and deck he's had for 27 years.. Thats the second Kubota, the AC is the only thing he has kept for that long. Les's Ac's still outnumber th Kubota. I'd say Les ranks right up there at the top of the heap too !.

dlcentral
Hey Jack,, your closer[in distance I mean,] than me to him,,give Les a 'wake-up ' slap! We don't care about the kubby thing,,he still has 2 AC's And most importantly I think of him as a great American for the work he is involved in How about the rest of you folks out there!?,,

Les
I have never heard of Castor oil being burned. Soy diesel is being made. Our plant in South Dakota does not produce it so I do not have access to it. Unfortunately, Soy diesel is not economicaly feasible at this time. We estimate that the pump price for diesel fuel will have to hit $2.45 per gallon to make soy diesel go, and that is with a 20 year low soybean oil pricing. Earlier this year, some soybean processing plants did burn some soybean oil in their boilers. Castor oil does have many industrial uses, the problem is that it has an aromatic ring which makes it unsuitable for many applications. Also, the pricing on Caster Oil fluctuates badly, and the supply in not plentiful. I may just make up a drum of Soy deisel to burn in my bota! It does provide better upper cylinder lubrication than standard #2 diesel.

MPH
Think anyone working at helping free this nation of our need for oil is A ok. Les could buy a sams club special to cut his grass if he felt the need, though I'd hope he kept one AC just to stay in focus on quality...MPH

Les
Les, I read somewhere that Rudolph Diesel used peanut oil to fuel his engines around 1900. Have you heard of the "Veggie Van" running on reclaimed fast food resturant frying oil..?[A href='http://www.veggievan.org/']http://www.veggievan.org/[/a]

SmilinSam
Les, Just want you to know the History Page was the first thing I read when I found this club. You have done a great job as club historian, and I'd appreciate you continuing. If I read your post correctly, you are NOT going to quit the club. Good luck in your latest pursuit.

Les
Your "veggie van" is a nice idea, but it is stickley a novelty item. There is just not enough used cooking oil to make any kind of a significant impact as a motor fuel. Plus used fry grease is a fairly valuable commodity, being reprocessed into industrial lubricants(i.e white oils). But even that market is insignificant next to the volume of petroleum products used. The economics just aren't there.

MPH
yea, I must agree with the novelty placement of the veggie van Les, didn't know the fry greese was reused at all, recycling up here is limited cuz it costs more to ship junk out than its worth..maybe I should make a veggie AC.MPH

Vinnie_A
Bought a Kubota 1760 16 months ago for $6100 and it now sits there in my shed idle with 40 hours on it.It will be sold in the spring. I have rebuilt one AC B 10 and also rebuilding a B 110 these are not water cooled and do not have oil filters power steering and hydrostatic drive that sounds like a jet plane.Kubota can not compare to the manicured cut of the AC.My original B 110 lasted 29 years with minor repairs and one tune up. Thanks for hearing my confession!!! STICK WITH SIMPLE TRACTORS