Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Assembly Tips Wanted

CarlH

As I got ready to mow this week, I noticed a substantial puddle of oil under my 7116. A little investigation led to the pan gasket leaking. I procured a gasket for the 16 hp Briggs, removed the engine, cleaned up the mess, installed the new gasket, and reassembled everything. After a couple hours of mowing, I noticed that the new gasket was weeping a little. I followed my general practice of installing the gasket "dry," that is, without any sealer. Does anyone have any favorite tips or tricks for installing the pan gasket to ensure a leakfree installation? Thanks, Carl

well i've used hi tack with good results it is a spray on adhessive/sealer never had a problem .the surface must be clean first and no old gasket on the mating surface. check to see if the pan is not warpped or big scores in it then apply it to the gasket (both side) let it get tacky then put it on it should fix the problem. matt

I swap older pans onto newer engines for use in the older rigs quite a bit. I scrape the lips on the pan and block with an x acto knife and put a automotive gasket sealer(comes in a squeeze tube) on both sides of the gasket and reassemble. I have never had a leak problem yet. SmilinSam

I use silcone for all my engines. Once it is set it does have some flex to it and the only time I have a leak is when a bolt is missing or broke.Like my model v tractor with the model 14.Bob

Be aware most silcone is not gas resistent and if the crank case ever floods out you will need to redo after fixing the initial problem. Mopar does make an excellent silicone though I am not sure if it is gas resisent.