Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electronic Ignition

BrianS

Has anyone used a aftermarket ignition unit to replace their points and condenser? I have a 16HP Kohler with no spark. I just got the unit so I was going to start with a tune-up. I the Northern Tool catalog I saw a electronic ignition unit that is supposed to fire 5 to 14 times at a shot. Does it work? How might it affect the Coil? Thanks Brian

Many electronic kits will not work on a Kohler. What is the Northern catalog number..? The Kohler factory system is quite dependable. Why does your engine have "no spark" (points, coil, etc.)..?

Dutch, The Northern number is 701207-C161. I don't know why there is no spark. I just got the tractor and havn't had much time to spend on it. (I have to get the roof done before I can play.) I did get it to fire once but the spark seemed weak. I tried new points and condenser. Guess I'll swap the coil next. Thanks Brian

#701207 is listed as a "clutch". Could it be #701214..? If so, I think that is for magneto ignition and won't work on a Kohler coil system. Before buying new parts, check each component with a multi-meter against the specs in the manual. Problems can be as simple as a bad wire connection.