Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

head torque - starter parts/ign help wanted.

DoubleT

Have a Big Ten with original 10hp. Need:

- To know in foot lbs the torque for head bolts.

- How to determine why no spark. Points are good and clean. All wires in good condition. None of the ign parts was disturbed since last run 15? years ago. (And no, I'm not trying through the plug. Even tried to dare that thing to generate juice by holding the end of the wire) I just don't know how to test the individual components

- I need a starter, regulator, and the brackets to mount it. (Small engine shops around here haven't been around half as long as that motor, and they want nothing to do with it.

TIA Bruce H

Hi bruce, I had some touble something like you said too, Ok this is what I did so bare with me. See if the plug wire is chewed on by some dumb mouse, see if the wire to the key switch is bare or rubbing on metal, cuz it grounds out the points, ie no juice, if nothing yet bummer man got to pull the motor and take off the fan cover see if any mouses or mice are live in there, than evick them and check wires in there for teeth marks or rubing if cool got to be the key on the flywheel or coil check key first. sorry so long but I been there kinda done that and my problem was key. sorry about the head some else please help need to rest 8o) polo

Cylinder head torque.

Basic model series 5, 6, N, 8, 9 - 140 inch/lbs, model 14 - 165 in/lbs, models 19,190000, 200000, 23, 230000, 240000, 300000, 320000 - 190 in/lbs

From B&S manual almost as old as your tractor.

Polo: I had done a site search here on the problem, and checked out what's been discussed. Haven't done the car coil trick yet.. Engine is partly tore down on the tailgate of my pickup. But I did notice the the wire that grounds on the mag coil mount looked burnt, and some black on the mag too. I suppose I better figure out a way to engineer this test with an external power source for the car coil.

Want this project to get over with. It's scattered all over my pickup and garage floor :o/

Yep been there too, this is the time to take a break and step back and think it through, got gas, air, no spark ok reckeck everything again you must of missed something otherwise it would of zapped you. All elses failes ask someone smarter than me, al,fred, dlc,anyone else. 8o) polo

Head is torqued and ignition prob turned out to be corrosion on the ground wire that attaches to coil mount screw. Corroded between wire and terminal rather than terminal and screw. That puppy is soldered now.

That just leaves the starter assembly, if someone knows where to direct me for that. Bruce H

Jeff Nemes has a new one listed on his web page, if you're interested in new... See either the Parts or Links section for the web site address.