Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

War on Weeds: Boy, I gotta do Something!

powermax_paul

I spent 3 hours today mowing down what was left of my sweet corn patch. The weeds took over (mostly ragweed) and I forfeited my crop. I'd have the local coop come in and spray (after planting) but it would cost upward of $175. I can't justify that for a half acre of corn. Any Ideas? Is there anything I can do right now? Would Roundup brush killer be gone by next spring? Paul

One thing you can do when your plants are still small is use old clippings to keep the weeds down. Just be careful of too much water in wet weather which could lead to stalk rotting. good luck

Paul, think you need is one more tractor, a model G,if I recall right, rag weed on creek bottom land in Nebraska was pretty easy to control by 3 or 4 cultivatings.. justified cuz you need the clearance for late cultivating when the corn is pushing waist high.....MPH

Kinda hard for Les to raise sheep in Illinois now, since the Rams moved to St. Louis! Thanks for all the help guys! Paul

Sheep are a generally tempermental animals, you take care of them they take care of you, my grandfathers house is only 15-20 minutes from Les and they raise sheep, and heck, if you bottle feed lambs, they will act like dogs when they get older lol, I think Les said he has bought pumpkins from my grandfathers pumpkin stand. Really Paul, if you have the room, sheep could be an option, when my grandpa's lawnmower died and he hadn't gotten another one yet (He does now, I bought a 3415H for him and painted it as a gift) he put a fence and had sheep eat his grass lol, anyways good luck,-BradW

Yeah Brad, my brother and his wife raise sheep. Sheep would eat the sweetcorn to though. Anyway, I couldn't do that here cuz I'm borrowing 1/2 acre of tillable land from a neighbor. This is the second year I've had a poor crop, and I've sprayed with roundup b4 tilling both years. I'm worried that if I dont have a good crop one of these years, the owner is going to rent it to the farmer that rents the other 159 1/2 acres. Paul

Are you rows far apart? you could pop down PVC piping and plant the seeds in the and weed wack around them and mow up and down the rows, I heard someone doing that and they had good luck, they also said it would put the water down to the roots, I have no personal experience with the setup but it may be practical,-BradW

Yeah Les you're right. I thought Roundup made a pre-emergent weed killer. I just went to their website and they don't make one. Can anybody recommend one? Paul

Hey, a sheep is one of the best 9 mowers in the world! If you dont beleive me just go to the simpletractors web site and click on the "Simplicity" section. I have never raised sheep, altough I did butcher one once. Makes littly bitty T-Bones, looks like little girl meat. Real men need a large slice of Prime Grade A Beef! Preferrably from a 1200 pound corn fed black-whiteface steer, like I used to raise back in Nebraska! Finest beef in the world. The only problem with Nebraska is that the girls appear to be corn fed too. p.s. My wife came from Kansas!