Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917H

Hello, I'm new to this club. I have owned wheel horse tractors for several years, and I'm considering buying a 917H. It has had the engine replaced with the Magnum series, but my concern is how good are the hydro's in these tractors? Also is there anything else to watch out for. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has about this tractor. THANKS! Snowman in Minnesota

Snowman, the hydro are very good and durable in these tractors. It is good that it has the Magnum engine (M18?) instead of the original KT17 as that engine has some lubrication problems with it. About the only wear item to check is the Bevel Gear Box, this is located under the seat at the transition from orange frame to black. This should have less than a 1/4" play on the pulley back and forth. If more, it can be fixed, but will help to determine the hours and care. These are extremely durable tractors and can take alot of abuse. Good Luck! Mike S.

I have dredged up several of these in a state of complete wreckage that cleaned up and worked great once engine was replaced. I have yet to find a Sundstrand hydro on a well used unit that did not work. The worst I have had as far as the tranny went was a case of stuck push valves and a push valve that leaked around the nipple. New valves are over $100 ea. I generally find used ones for half of that. Sam

The only Sunstrand Hydro that I have heard of that went bad, was one on a tractor which partly slid off the back of a trailer and the wheels turned at road speed for a while. AC/Simplicity has the best mower deck, bar none. You will realize this the first time you let your grass get a little too high.