Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ok, I bought it, NOW what do I do?

DoubleT

Brett Congrats on getting the trac!If it turns out to be a good deal for you it's MY fault for recommending you buy it.if it's a bad deal it'sFRED'S fault and don't forget that!! Check eng. oil,if it's clean run it for awhile. If dirty change it and for summer operation I like to use a good brand[your choice] of 30W detergent type oil. Winter operation/use a good grade of 10W-30 oil. Check air filter for replacement,check all grease fittings for grease including the one up inside frame for steering sector shaft[I'll bet he didn't get that one!!Jack front of trac. up and check frt. wheels for excessive end play.Also check that differential by Rt. rear wheel has been greased,but not excessively. Good Luck with her! dlc

All (specifically fred and dlc):
Well, I am now moved into new home and have taken delivery of the brand spanking new-to-me 1980 912H discussed in past posts!! Interesting delivery....got it late afternoon, dealer dropped it off of his pickup/delivery truck......after he left I showed it off to my still dubious wife.....showed her how well it was built, told her all the rust is merely on the surface and in no way inhibits the functioning capabilities of this garden tractor and reminded her of the $800 I saved for her to spend on the house. I cranked it and it immediately started up, no rattles, smoke or leaks......threw the pto and off I went to mow my new lawn. 20 feet down the first strip the deck sounded like it was about to fall off and it and the engine ground to a complete hault. No problem honey, a minor problem, probably was "cold". Started up, no problem. Throw pto and the sound of metal vs. metal vs. meat grinder rang through the air. Wife looking REAL worried. Get off. Look under deck. About 10 feet of cable wound around right blade. Get out jack to lift deck to get to cable. Get cable off. Put jack away... wife leaves to answer phone. Comes back and hands me the phone. Its the dealer. Wants to know if the cable he uses to tie his dog out dropped off of his truck while he was there delivering the tractor.

Glad his dog wasn't attached.

Anyway, got the Service Manual and the Operators Manual from the dealer. Another interesting story. Paid $25 for a photo copied versions of the Service Manual and $15 for the Operators Manual. "Looked up the Part # and that's the price" said the dealer. That's ok, he really is a nice local long term dealer so I dont mind. Even told him I would make copies for him and send them to him. So now, back to the subject, the dealer said he had performed all necessary service. How do I check? Tranny filter has a date of 1997. Is there any thing I should do or maintenance to perform to make sure that things are up to speed? Should I go ahead and change oil, grease zirks, etc.? What else? Tranny fluid should only be changed when it receives major service, right? wrong?

Thanks!

Brett,
I got the same spiel when I picked up my "new" 4040. There was new engine oil at the proper level but the filter was old. There was new(?) hydrolic oil, 2 qts too much, and the filter was old. I could not detect any oil in the drop housings. Took 12 oz each side to bring it to the proper 16 oz level. Good news: The new 8x16 ags on the back had the proper air pressure. Most dealers around here won't go through a tractor but instead just put a little oil here and there so it looks good if you should bother check it at the lot. I recommend going through the whole tractor with a fine toothed comb. Also, it's a good was to get to know the new machine. Happy mowing.

Stan

Brett,
Forgot what I was answering. #1. Memorize manual. If the engine oil does not look new (somewhat transparent) then change it. Tranny oil is not as easy, but if the filter is old - change it and top off the oil. Get membership to a wholesale club and purchase grease, engine oil, and hydrolic fluid by the case or 5 gallon bucket as in the case of hydrolic oil. Do not be stingy with any of the above. Changing the hydrolic oil should be considered regular service. The manual most likely says: "every 50 hours or 25 hours if used under dirty or very dusty conditions". O'yes, use only OEM hydrolic filters. I know the #@%'s seem to charge twice as much as they should but the're the only hydrolic filters you should use. OR remember the $800 you thought you saved? Time to stop preaching.

Stan

Sorry, Brett, but I'm on vacation, so it CAN'T be my fault! Just checking in from the brother-in-law's in VA. Good luck with it.
Fred