Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mowing suggestions

BrendonV

I finally have grass growing on a new addition to the property. A creative piece of civil engineering called a sand mound. My problem is that on our sloping meadow the berm of the mound now has a slope of between 20° to 30°. The length of the slope is about 70-80 feet with about 10 feet of flat before a fence and a real drop-off to a creek. The soil is soft right now, hopfully with this winters freeze and thaw it will settle and firm up. Any suggestions as to how to mow this new addition to our meadow? Dwarf goats and sheep have been suggested already. How about some tractor based solutions.

O.K. - to prevent the dwarf goats or sheep from wandering off, tie ropes to their collars and tie the other end of the ropes to your tractor.

All humor aside, does anyone mow steep slopes? Under the operation section of Simple Tractors, under speeds for gear tractors it says first gear with 2 rear weights for slopes up to 35°. What weight weights are refered to? I would guess to mow up the slope. Would chains and or front weights help? Thanks in advance. Greg

The weights refered to are likey the 20Lb stackable flat weights. I use 50 lb iron weights used on John Deere and Cub Cadet albeit repainted orange. I also combine this with bar tread tires. I rarely have slippage or traction problems. I quit using turf tires years ago . No complaints from those I mow for either as far as marks in the yard. I prefer going down an incline, but I also mow across( not recommended by the manuals) shifting my weight to one side of the seat or the other. I use either a briggs or kohler single on my steep slopes, as they have plenty of oil in the reservoir. Used a KT17 once. Thats all it took too, ONCE. All the oil(what little they have) went to one side and starved the engine and broke a rod shortly thereafter. SmilinSam