Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716 6 speed

RayS

looking into buying a 716 6 speed and was wondering if these transmissions were shuttle transmissions. it has a 3 speed and a hi lo range lever. are these a good transmission or not. if it is a shuttle transmission all i hear is people have prblems with them. thanks for the help.

to my knowledge if it has a hi-lo it aint a shuttle. I have a 3410-s and it has 4 speeds ahead and no reverse position in the gear selector as the shuttle provides reverse. As far as how good shuttle is I've heard both good and bad comments. Bottom line in my opinion is how well maintained a shuttle is will dictate its performance & reliability. When working properly they are just as nice as a hydrostat for easy changes of direction plus some have said it will out-pull a hydrostat Good luck Dick

If you look under the seat you will see the hi-low is done by the idler switching over to run different size pulleys that run side by side. Using a standard 3 speed trans it is a pretty neat arrangement and reliable.

It would work on the B-210, B212 tractors with the longer wheelbase. The best would be to find the whole set up from the BGB back. As it had its own BGB shaft and also input shaft to the tranxaxle. And linkages would only fit in the longer wheelbase. Mike S.

While I prefer a hydro to mow with, I actually like the 6-speed setup to run the tiller on. Does not seem to be pushed around so much like the hydro in hard soil. Never had a problem with them either. I wouldn't sell my worst enemy a shuttle to use for any length of time. Every one of them I have bought has had a bad tranny. Makes for a good source of engines though. HA! SmilinSam