Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Changing Oil in Regent

I can answer that one, take the plastic tube that is in your manuals plastic and slide it up on the nipple fitting, then you use any sort of wrench that fits (cannot remember size right now, thinking it was metric) and loosen it, but not all the way, then just stick the tube in a drain pan until it stops, warm the motor up first though, this makes the oil drain faster, your best bet is draining, then go in the house watch the television, then close it, use 10W-30 and make sure you DO NOT overfill as it takes an uneven amount, I will send you a pic later with a better description, thanks and good luck,-BradW

Thanks to all the useful responses I got for my previous post regarding backfiring. Next question: How in the heck do I drain the oil in my Regent with a Kohler engine. It appears that the oil is drained by removing what looks like a 1/2" pipe plug on the bottom of the engine. Problem is, with it recessed so far it will be difficult to get at - what tool do you guys use? More importantly, it looks as if the oil will then run out onto the frame of the tractor and then down onto the belts and the deck. I know I can remove the deck and belts, but how do I keep the oil from running all over the tractor frame?