Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord colors

JBLACK

As I mentioned before I noticed two different color combinations of the landlord 101 in the new in 66 catagory of the site.I have one of each color although,my black&red landlord has a#23 B&S and has the casting on the trans for 1964 did they all feature these color schemes during the sixtys? The red and white one does not have the original engine and I haven`t scrubbed the grime of the trans of it to look. It has been through four different relatives familys and has been used to mow between rows of x-mas trees for many years these old tractors are built!! sorry ,i`ll get off the soapbox now have good evening. JBLACK.

Hi JBlack, I believe that the 1966 was a new color for that year. I also have a 64 landlord to which I have owned for about 15 years. It has the orange and black color combo. I did some diging the last time you asked this qeustion and found that the earlyier landlords were infact orange and black. Now is your tractor really red or dark orange color. In the new in 66 pictures It looks as though Simplicity used some 1965 landlords for advertising their attachments. If you notice they explain all of the new features of the 66 but only one or 2 tractors have the orange and white color combo. On the 64-65 the simplicity decal is on the side covers- 66 is on the hood. Also the 66 is called a model 101. Look closely on the picture of the 66 at the side covers and you will see some writeing I am willing to bet it says model 101. I am glad you found the # on the trans as this is where I have been telling other members to check. My date is 6-16-64 on the left side trans cover. In 66 Simplicity made some changes that maybe I can explain at another time. If you get a chance please clean the grease off the orange and white trac. and let me know if it is a 66. Very good question and also you thought you were long just get me going. I"M Gone-JackL

When they were describing the tractor itself, they would show the newest model. But it wasn't unusual for a catalog to show older models when they were talking about attachments....

I know this to be true with Allis Chalmers literature. I've seen B-10s pictured with attachments in literature selling B-110s, for example.

I have what I believe to be a Landlord model 101. It appears to be identical to the one in the "New in 1966" found on the home page. I presently have the engine out for a bore and valve job. In excavating the grease I can't be sure about this month-date-year number in the transmission case. The first 2 numbers aren't recognizable but I"m sure it ends in a "57" . Could this be a l957 tractor? A friend in the club said it most likely was a 63-64. Is there any other way to be sure? In regards to color it appears my tractor was an original orange with almond color wheels. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Joe, I should of said that there are more then one set of #'s. The numbers that you want are just about a 1/2" higher then the 57 you found and they look like they were put there by a rubber stamp except they are not quite as bold as the number 57. Mine also has the 57 on it but has a letter first and then 4 numbers ending with 57. Do somemore digging and see what you can find as there is a chance you should find somemore #'s. Mine reads from left to right 6-16-64. And it is really easy to make out as long as when they made the casting it turned out. If the engine is original and you can find the I.D. numbers post them again on the message board and someone will at least tell you if your engine is original. For 64 they only offered a 9hp engine. And I beleive this to be true for 65 but not 100%. If it is a pre 66 it will have a adjustable hub on the drivers side to witch you could tighten 2 bolts and it would increase pressure on the wheel and thus provide more tracion. In 66 Simplicity added springs to the differenial and did a way with the adjustable hub in most cases. Does it have one small and a large round steering gear set? If so it more then likely is pre 66. The 66's had a 10 horse engine and the hood had the simplicity decals on it like the picture. Of course you said yours had been painted but maybe you might beable to find some remains of the decals. Also decals on pre 66 had Simplicity decals on the side covers. Please understand that it was and still is not uncommon for Simplcity to use up parts from the previous year. Hope this helps some what and please post a message for all of us to view. Thanks and I am sorry I took so long to explain this. Thanks Fellow Member JackL

My 1964 landlord has black around the dash and under the hood on the side panel the grill is black on the top portion and the simplicity white on the bottom.The word landlord at the bottom of the grill is white with a black background.My landlord 101 is white and orange just as yours is I have not yet checked the date yet but I believe it to be a 66 the simplicity logo should be on the hood. If that helps . JBLACK

I stand corrected reading JBlack's message his discripion of the placement of the decals on the side and else where is correct. The Simplicity decals are not actually on the side covers but on the dash panel that wraps around both sides. Just look at the pictures of new in 66 at the attachments and you will see the difference. Sorry for any miss information. Thanks Jackl

Dear Jack,
Thanks for the advice. I have found the # 154057 cast in the gear casing near the back axle. Also next to this is the #12 stamped (inset) in the casing higher and to the right. I don't have the engine back from the machine shop and unfortunately all the sheet metal is on it. Perhaps I will know more once I get it back. I have spent the last couple of weeks degreasing and painting. Robert Winter (club member ) has sold me a decal kit to complete my rebuild job. I do know the tractor to be a 101 because the hood had the remains of the 101 decal painted over. Thanks again. I'll tell you the story sometime of how I came to get this tractor and 7 pieces of hitch attachments for zero dollars if your're interested. Joe