Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mark_Boesen

Hello, I'm fixing up a '61 725 and have several questions I hope somebody can answer: The "D" shaped steering wheel is curved toward the back, all the old pics show it curved away (toward front) from operator. I'd like to move it as I'm tall. Is this the was they were built? or can I move the bottom bellcrank 180? the wheel is keyed at top. Also the engine is black and looks like it may have been changed at one time, as some one cut the hood a little bit to clear alternator(generator?) How can I tell if this is a Kohler? --Thanks

Mark, pretty sure 62 was the first year of the 725. the steering wheel is shaped like that so you can open the hood, and should be toward the front when the wheels are straight. the engine should be a model 19 or 19D briggs cast iron. there should be a plate of the front behind the grill" almost impossibe to read" with the mod # serial # and code # on it. by the code you can tell the date it was built...MPH

Mark, Martin is correct in that the curved part of the wheel should be forward.To correct your problem remove the bolt that goes thru the universal joint above the steering gear and rotate the upper shaft 180deg.,reinstall the bolt and you you should be ok. Good Luck,Jim

I know that on the wonderboy 700 the D is near the driver.The 725 had a higher steering wheel shaft so you could open the hood easyer.I leave the set screw loose on my 700 so I can take off the wheel to open the hood. The last wonderboy 700 that I got the engine was changed on it, so they cut the hood up,so am in the process of repairing it.It should be a briggs in it but the newer engines were a little different.Bob