Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wilm169

Strange sight I saw today

wilm169

Went to a auction and they had a AC 416h and a MF 14 hydro setting next to each other. Well in comparing the decks, the shell is the same just drilled and mounted differant but same shell stamping.:o:O

Les

Solid information is hard to get on the AC 300/400 series. As they were only made for just a few years in a now closed plant 37 years ago. It appears to me that AC bought a lot of out sourced parts so it does not surpise me that they either bought stampings from AMF or from the same supplier as AMF. I would guess that the steering gear is the same as well.

AMF made the MF garden tractors of the late 1960's and early 70's. Some people state that Badger Northland made some of them as well, but I do not believe that is the case, I believe that Massey did store and ship garden tractors from the Badger location but that the garden tractors were not actually manufactured there. Should change that in the history section I guess.

Chris727

Yeah, My MF-16 has a very similar deck to the Homelites, AC300/400, Simplicity 6200 and pretty well most of the right hand dishcharge 48" decks. The arbors are also quite similar, should interchange as an assembly. I think there is a slight difference though on the top of the shell.

acfarmer

Interesting I have both the Massey 14/16 and AC 300/400 series decks around here somewhere I'll put them together to compare.Think the MF 14 and 16 were built in France.I do know the MF 14 and 16 are impossible to find a hydro filter that has the correct threads the ones everyone lists for them are wrong.

Les

Got some new information on the MF Garden Tractors.

Only the MF 7 was made at the Badger Nortland plant at Algoma WI, this plant also produced the MF Ski Wiz snowmobiles.

This plant was closed in 1970, some of the production was transferred to the Des Moines Iowa plant that also made the big MF 4 wheel drive tractors. Some snowmobiles were made in Des Moines and probably some MF 7's as well.

The MF 8, 10, 12 and 14 were apparently made by AMF who also made some identical tractors under the Dynamark name.

ka9bxg

A former members dad worked at the plant in Algoma and they did make the tractors there as he worked on them . I know that he has some information on them at his place, I don't reamber what he went by but his name is Jake. Bob