Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Flaky Gas Tank

MarkA

There's a product called Kreem that motorcylists use to coat the inside of their old gas tanks. I found some here in MA, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me.... Something about EPA, or something like that.

powermax_paul
most radiator shops perform a sealing process to the interior of the tanks. i have had this done a few times with great results. joel

There is a product made by the eastwood company that you can use on your tank (eastwoodco.com). I bought the smallest size available used on motor cycles. I took two days to let the product dry, but the tank is like brand new. I did the repair on a 1968 bolens 1050 with a wisconsin 10hp motor.Just follow the instruction on the packaging. You also need to use some of your own chemicls such as muriatic acid and acetone. Good luck. John. P.S Everyone have fun at the show on Sat. I would go but my dad is having a reunion with his old bomb group when he was stationed in England in the 50's.[A href='eastwoodco.com']eastwoodco.com[/a]

I built one with used plastic cut to the right demensions and used JB Weld to seal the seams, works great, made it after my battery ate a hold through the tank...-BradW

OOps by the way I forgot to say that the tank seal costs approx. $30.00 and is approved for aircraft. This stuff is fantastic! plus I have some leftover for another tank or two.Have a great time at the show. John H

Mark, Suggest you also make sure the tank is not too rusty to begin with. (They're still available new at $80 -$90!) I bought a used on for my Big Ten, and "deflaked it" using someone's suggestion of old bolts/nuts then strapping it to a back tire while mowing. I didn't recoat with Kreem, since the guy wouldn't sell it to me.... To make a long story short, I discovered Tuesday night that it had developed a "weeping leak" (even though I tested it before I originally put it in a couple months back) and had destroyed the new paint in the entire battery box area. I WAS NOT a happy camper, since I wanted to take the tractor to Brooklyn. So, I got a pin-hole welded up in another old tank that wasn't flaky, but am now in the process of repainting (with a brush, since I don't have time/don't want to tear down the entire dash area to remove the bulkhead) and will be still reassembling this thing on Friday night, the night before.... Moral of the story -- don't take chances! Make sure you have a good, solid gas tank, especially on a rebuild/restoration job. These gas tanks are so close to the battery that the battey acid, fumes and corrosion will destroy them from the outside, while water in the gas will destroy them from the inside. My 2 cents! Kent

I know its not OEM but been wondering if anyone has found a plastic tank to fit these oldies??There are places where plastic out does iron we all know by now..MPH