Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Virus Alert

powermax_paul

powermax_paul
My computer was infected by another virus. It was another worm that sends out emails at random. If you received an email from me between 5 and 9 PM central time and it has an attachment with a .exe, .pif, .com or .bat file extension, please delete it. I received an email from my local chapter of National Association of the Remodeling Industry this afternoon with a .pif file attachment. This attachment contained a virus identified as W32.Magistr.39921@mm (discovered 9/3/01). I have downloaded the latest .dat file from Network Associates and the virus has been destroyed on my computer. Sorry for any iconvienience this may have caused. Powermax_Paul

This is the same one that several of us (including me) passed on earlier this summer. The virus programs do a good job of finding and killing it.... Thanks for the heads up!

powermax_paul
Yeah, Kent, I got it earlier this summer too, but this is new and improved. It was discovered on 9/3 and does not limit itself to *.exe files like the old one did. Paul

powermax_paul
I use MS Outlook Express and have "Mail Rules" set to erase (at the server before it's downloaded) all email not specifically addressed to me. This eliminates 90% of the spam I used to get. As for attachments, they are also deleted unless I am expecting to receive one. Even then, I inspect them before I open. Under NO circumstances will I ever accept an executable file from anyone.

Got a Trojan last week, it really messed up my hard drive. Have downloaded latest version of AVG anti-virus and installed new 40 gig hard drive. Hope I,m good to go now. AVG does mail screening for me so I'll feel a little safer.